Here’s an EASY pumpkin pie recipe that I’ll dare to call foolproof. Try it out and let me know if I’m wrong.
The gist of the prep process for this pumpkin pie is: mix up the filling, pour it into a premade pie crust, and bake. If you have all the ingredients on hand, you’ll have it in the oven inside of 15 minutes.
Ingredients for easy pumpkin pie
Your grocery list for making this pumpkin pie recipe consists of:
- White sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Ground clovers
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 premade, unbaked 9-inch pie crust
How to make this pumpkin pie recipe
The steps for preparing this pumpkin pie recipe are straightforward. Start by preheating your oven to 425°F or 218°C.
Next, grab a 9-inch pie pan and grease it lightly with butter.
You’ll also want to take the pie crust out of the refrigerator and review the instructions. Following the package guidelines on thawing time (if there are any), press the pie crust gently into your prepared pie pan.
Mixing the spices
The spice mixture brings all the flavor to this pie. To make it, combine these seasonings in a small bowl:
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Making the pie filling
Now crack 2 eggs into a bowl and then beat them gently with a fork. Stir in a 15-oz can of pumpkin puree and the spice mixture you already made. Using a whisk, stir the batter as you pour in a 12-oz can of evaporated milk. Keep mixing until the batter is smooth.
Pour the batter into your prepared pie crust.
Bake the pumpkin pie
The oven should be hot by now. Place the pie in the heated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce the temperature to 350°F or 177°C and continue baking for 40 to 50 minutes. The pie is done with a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
To avoid destroying your pie with the knife test, use a small knife and place the cut directly in the center. When it’s time to slice the pie, you can cut over that section so there’s no sign of a blemish in your pie.
Cool the pie
When the pie is done, set it on a wire rack and cool until it reaches room temperature. This could take 2 hours. Then cover the pie gently with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. It will continue to set as it cools. Allow for at least 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator for best results.
Serve with whipped cream.
Pumpkin pie substitution notes
Can you use substitute pumpkin pie for the individual spices?
Yes. Use 1 3/4 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice in lieu of the cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
Can you use pumpkin pie filling instead of pureed pumpkin?
No, you cannot. Pumpkin pie filling is sweetened and seasoned. You don’t want that. Make sure you have pure canned pumpkin. Check the ingredients list — it should include pumpkin and nothing else.
Can you use condensed milk instead of evaporated milk?
No, you cannot substitute condensed milk for the evaporated milk. Condensed milk has added sugar. It’s also much thicker.
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15 ounces) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (12 ounces) can evaporate milk
- 1 unbaked 9” deep pie crust
- Heat oven to 425°F or 218°C.
- Press pie crust into a lightly greased 9” pie dish.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and ground cloves.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in pumpkin puree and sugar/spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk until batter is well combined and smooth. Pour batter into pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425°F (218°C). After 15 minutes, reduce temperature to 350°F (177°C) and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 2 hours on a wire rack.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1301Total Fat: 74gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 47gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 1059mgCarbohydrates: 142gFiber: 6gSugar: 21gProtein: 17g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.