Chinese broccoli beef (or broccoli and beef) is a stir fry dish consisting of fresh broccoli, slices of steak in a delicious sauce. It can be found at many take-out places and at many buffets in the United States, and now you can make it at home as well! The steak is first to cut into pieces and then marinated in a soy sauce and sherry combination. After marinating for a few minutes the steak mixture is then fried in the pan with a little garlic and ginger. Now just a few minutes to stir fry the broccoli and you’re done! It’s really that easy. Some people like to add other ingredients such as oyster sauce or chicken broth but I don’t think that’s necessary because this simple sauce mixture tastes great. If you want to take on a more authentic approach try and find some Chinese broccoli to use in this recipe. Serve with white rice or even Chinese Fried Rice. Enjoy.
- 1lb flank steak
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 bunch fresh broccoli (sliced into florets)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 slices fresh ginger (finely minced)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Slice steak against the grain thinly into strips. Place steak in a bowl or sealable bag.
- Combine soy sauce, dry sherry, and cornstarch. Mix well, and pour mixture over steak strips. Marinate for 15 minutes to a half hour.
- Heat the wok and add oil. Add minced garlic and ginger root and stir fry over medium-high heat for about 20 seconds. Add beef and stir fry stirring constantly for a couple minutes.
- Add broccoli and stir fry for 5 minutes or until broccoli is cooked but still crispy and dark green.