Chinese lemon pepper shrimp consists of crispy fried shrimp tossed with a sweet lemon and pepper sauce. Some of the key ingredients in the sauce include soy sauce, lemon juice, and brown sugar. If you want an additional flavor you can add a little grated lemon zest as well. What I like to do is stir fry a few lemon slices with the garlic and ginger to give the oil a nice lemon flavor. The shrimp can be either fried in the wok or cooked in the deep fryer. This Chinese dish is very simple and makes for a quick and delicious dinner. This recipe can easily be doubled if you want it to make more servings. Serve with white rice. Enjoy.
(Makes 2 Servings)
[amazon box=”B071F2HTW4,B07PC8CC3B,B074J5WZS8″ grid=”3″]Print
- 1lb medium raw shrimp (peeled and deveined with tails removed)
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 4 lemon slices
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger (minced)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- A ¾ cup of water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
- In a shaker bag or sealable plastic bowl coat the shrimp with a ½ cup of cornstarch. Let the shrimp sit for about 5 minutes so that the cornstarch will adhere better. Heat 1 cup of vegetable oil in a wok (or large skillet) over medium heat. Add the shrimp to the wok and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until the shrimp are lightly browned and fully cooked. Remove from the wok with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Dump out the oil.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the wok over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, and lemon slices and stir-fry for 15 seconds. Add soy sauce, and then dissolve 2 teaspoons of cornstarch in a ¾ cup of cold water, and add to the wok. Add brown sugar, lemon juice, and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Toss the fried shrimp with the sauce and top with green onions.