One of my favorite Chinese appetizers is egg rolls. Egg rolls are very popular in the United States, they can be found at stores, buffets, take-out places, and at many other locations. They mainly consist of a variety of vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, and bean sprouts. In this recipe, I decided to use shrimp but you could also use chicken or pork depending on whatever you prefer. Adding soy sauce and garlic powder to the cabbage mixture give s it a great flavor. Wrapping egg rolls are very easy and I tried to explain it in the best way possible. Egg rolls are very easy to make and are a great appetizer to make for parties or other social events. Eggs rolls go great with sweet and sour sauce for dipping. Enjoy.
- 6 cups shredded cabbage and carrot mix
- ½ cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1 celery stalk (diced)
- 2 tablespoons green onion (minced)
- 1 4 (oz) can shrimp (drained)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 20 egg roll wrappers
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- In a large bowl combine cabbage and carrot mix, bean sprouts, celery, and green onion. Stir in shrimp, soy sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high and fry and pour beaten egg into it and fry like a pancake on one side and then flip. Chop egg up finely. Stir the egg into the cabbage mixture. Sprinkle the top of the cabbage mixture with cornstarch and mix well.
- In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Lay out an egg roll wrapper. Place 1-2 tablespoons of filling in the corner of the wrapper, but not so the filling is actually touching the corner. Fold over that corner and roll about half of the way up. Fold over the left and right corners to the middle. Using a brush or the bottom of a spoon, brush the cornstarch/water mixture on the edges of the wrapper. Finish rolling up tightly and secure to make sure there are no leaks. Repeat until all the egg roll wraps are used.
- Deep fry egg rolls in batches until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.