French chicken is breaded chicken served over pasta and topped with a lemon butter sauce. The chicken is breaded and then fried in the pan and finished cooking in the sauce. The sauce gets a lot of flavor from ingredients such as fresh lemon juice, butter, chicken broth, and wine. This is a great recipe to serve for dinner and is sure to impress guests. A bit of work is required to prepare this dish but it is certainly worth it. You can serve this dish with garlic bread if desired. Enjoy.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- 1/4 cup minced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- minced fresh parsley (for garnish)
- sliced lemon (for garnish)
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise. In a shallow bowl whisk together eggs and milk. Set aside. Combine the salt, pepper, and flour in a separate bowl. Dip the chicken breasts one at a time first into the flour, then dip into the egg and then dredge in the flour mixture. Place onto a plate.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Place the chicken breasts into the skillet, as many as will fit at once, probably 2-3 at a time. Cook the chicken until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts adding more olive oil and butter if needed.
- Empty the skillet and add 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the minced onion and cook, stirring occasionally until sot. Add the wine, lemon juice, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and cook the sauce, stirring frequently until the sauce has reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoons of butter to the sauce. Stir until melted.
- Add the chicken cutlets to the sauce and heat for 4-5 minutes or until fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.).
- Serve with pasta and garnish with parsley and lemon wedges for serving.