With the colder weather quickly approaching these French toast sticks are great to serve for breakfast. This recipe is exactly like French toast but the bread is cut into strips and then coated in an egg/cream mixture and then fried in the pan. The egg/cream mixture gets a lot of flavor from cinnamon, sugar and vanilla extract. This recipe is easy to prepare and you can have these delicious French toast sticks on the table in no time. Serve with butter, syrup and your favorite berries. Enjoy!
- 8 slices Texas toast
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Unsalted butter (for cooking)
- Maple syrup (for serving)
- Cut each slice of the Texas toast into four sticks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla extract. Dip each piece of the bread into the egg mixture, turning to coat on all sides.
- Let any excess batter drip off and place onto a large plate or baking dish.
- Melt 2-3 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, place several of the coated sticks in a single layer in the pan. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Cook until golden brown on one side and then flip and continue cooking until the sticks are golden brown and slightly crispy on all edges. Serve immediately with maple syrup.