At nearly any buffet or take-out place, you can find General Tso’s Chicken. General Tso’s Chicken is a perfect combination of sweet and spicy flavors. It is a very popular dish throughout the United States and Canada. This is probably one of the best and easiest recipes around, you will be surprised at how little time it takes to prepare. I decided to get brave and use the boneless skinless chicken thighs, and I wasn’t disappointed. However, If you want to use chicken breasts that would work fine as well. The sauce keeps it nice and simple with only a few necessary ingredients to create the perfect general’s sauce. For the frying – it’s your choice if you want to use a deep fryer or wok. What I did was first deep fry the chicken and then fry it in the wok for a few minutes before adding the sauce. What this does is give the chicken bits a spicy flavor coming from the dried chilies that are fried in the oil. If you are looking for an amazing recipe for General Tso’s chicken give this one a try. Serve on top of white rice. Enjoy.
(Makes about 2 servings)Print
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into 1” chunks)
- 5 dried red chili peppers
- 3 green onions (sliced)
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- ½ cup cornstarch
- oil (for frying)
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a large mixing bowl combine cornstarch and beaten eggs. Mix well to create a batter. Add chicken bits and coat thoroughly.
- To make the sauce- in a small bowl combine rice vinegar, rice wine, soy sauce, sugar, and cornstarch. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat deep fryer or wok to 375 degrees and deep fried chicken bits in batches. Drain on paper towels.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to your work. Add dried chili peppers to your wok and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add chicken bits to the wok and stir fry for a couple minutes.
- Add sauce mixture to the wok and cook stirring until the sauce becomes thickened and bubbly. Garnish with green onions and serve.