Yes, it is possible to grill quesadillas. I am taking advantage of this nice weather we are getting here in Michigan. If you are a fan of Mexican cuisine you probably have tried quesadillas at least once. For those of you that do not have a grill, don’t worry, you can cook them in the pan as well (or with an indoor grill pan). What makes these quesadillas unique is the pico de gallo salsa goes right into the filling. I even made a delicious sour cream/green chili sauce to spread over the top. Sadly my local grocery stores were all out of cilantro so I was forced to leave it out. These quesadillas use chicken for the meat but you could also use steak as well. I cooked the chicken in the pan and then made the quesadillas on the grill but the chicken could be grilled as well. If you are looking for a fantastic quesadilla recipe, give this one a try. Enjoy.
(Makes 4 Servings)Print
Grilled Quesadillas Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (cut into strips, leave whole if grilling)
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (seeded and minced)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 (12) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned green chilies
- In a bowl combine diced tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until the juices run clear. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the other tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and sauté onion and green bell pepper until tender.
- Stir in garlic and cook until the aroma flows.
- Mix in the cooked chicken and half of the pico de gallo mixture. Remove from heat, set aside and keep warm.
- To make a sour cream sauce- in a blender add sour cream and chopped green chilies. Blend until well combined and smooth.
- Lightly oil grill grates. Lightly butter one side of each tortilla. Lay out flour tortillas butter side down on the grill. Top each tortilla with a ¼ cup of cheese. Add ¼ of the chicken mixture on one side of each tortilla.
- Top with a little sour cream sauce. When the bottom is lightly browned and the cheese has started to melt, with a spatula fold one side of the tortilla over the top and press down.
- Cut into wedges and serve with remaining pico de gallo.
Thursday 17th of June 2010
These were really yummy! I only had some smaller tortillas on hand so I made six quesadillas. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed them :D
Sunday 27th of September 2009
These are just unbelievable. My family went crazy for them. This is the best new recipe I've tried in a very long time. Thank you for this recipe!
These are PERFECT.
Sunday 20th of September 2009
Oh wow, your casedillas look fantastic!
Sunday 13th of September 2009
I like nice and thick quesadillas like this! They look really good.
Thursday 10th of September 2009
Wow! I'll definitely be trying these they look delicious Bobby!