- 1 large bunch of kale
- Olive oil
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 Yellow bell pepper
- 1 sweet onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1/4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tablespoons onion powder
- 1/4 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- Place kale in a bowl and completely cover with water, then firmly massage and wash the vegetable until it is tender. Remove the stem from the leaves by slicing them both ways with a knife, be careful not to tear the kale too much because the next step involves chopping them.
- After the kale has been washed and allowed to completely dry, you want to go ahead and add your salt and lime juice and properly mix until the vegetable becomes much tender.
- The next thing to do is to chop the already shredded kale into much smaller portions. This is an important step in this recipe because you don’t want your kale to easily absorb the flavors of other ingredients, and no better way to do this than to expose as much surface area as you can by chopping the kale.
- Slice open the red bell pepper and remove the seeds to make it less spicer, then slice it into thin straps. Repeat the process for both the yellow and the green bell peppers. The combination of colors provides an aesthetic for the dish and also contributes to the savory flavor.
- Chop the onion into medium size chunks, then squash and chop 4 cloves of garlic. Be careful not to mix the garlic and onions, because you will need to sauté the onions separately before adding the chopped garlic.
- In a hot pan, add drizzle some olive oil and throw the chopped onions in. Sauté the onions for about 2 minutes on low heat before throwing in the chopped garlic, continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes more. At this point, your onions should start to take a slight brown color.
- Add your colorful sliced bell peppers to the pan and cook for an extra minute. Make sure you stir continuously to avoid burning the onions.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce, and 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce. This will give it an excellent umami flavor.
- Continue adding your seasonings. Add one tablespoon of dark brown sugar, 1/4 tablespoon of salt, 1/4 tablespoon of garlic powder, 1/4 tablespoons of onion powder, 1/4 tablespoon of black pepper, and mix everything properly.
- Add kale, cover the pan and allow to cook for another 5 to 7 minutes. When it is properly cooked, take the lid off and give it a good stir to combine everything.
- You can add more soy sauce if you need more moisture, and more oyster sauce, about a tablespoon or half of both. Stir again to mix the veggies and leave to cook for a minute.
- Turn off the heat and remove the pan. You can serve this alongside spaghetti, or any other starchy food of your choice. You can even add some protein, the possibilities are endless.
This quick and easy kale recipe is my personal favorite, and if you follow the guidelines correctly, you will be left with a delicious kale dish in less than 15 minutes. If you’d like to see more recipe ideas, we recommend that you check out this video recipe.