Chitterlings or pork intestines are favorite southern soul food that ought to be on your dinner table. They are usually prepared during the holiday season but are available all year round due to deep freezing. Chitterlings are very good and can be infused in moderation into your Low Carb diet.
Seems as if everybody loves how chitterlings taste but can’t deal with the smell, and most people want to know “how to cook chitterlings without the smell.” It is safe to say that there are many ways to remove the stinky, foul smell of chitterlings.
We’ll you’re in the right place, sit back and get enlightened on different ways of cleaning your chitterlings to achieve a highly flavored dish.
Chitterlings Nutrition Facts
Tips on how to clean your Chitterlings
First, there are different ways how to clean your chitterlings.
By Cleaning-Firstly, put the chitterlings in cold water, add your table salt inside the water and soak for about an hour before you start cleaning. This allows you to easily separate the chitterlings from the fat because the poop is stored in the fat. Chop your onions and put them inside the same pot you put the chitterlings and boil for about ten minutes. Drain off all the water with a colander and put it back into the pot with fresh, clean water, and allow the water to boil for a second time. Then you repeat the step by draining off all the water. Boil it again for the third time with your chopped onion and garlic, and you’re free to add any other seasoning you want to add. This will eliminate the chitterling smell.
By use of Onions and potatoes- You can get rid of the chitterlings smell by using plenty of onions and potatoes. The potatoes will soak up most of the odor. Peel about 2 to 3 medium size potatoes and cut them in half. Cook the potatoes along with the Chitterlings, and the potatoes will absorb the smell of the chitterlings.
By use of Garlic- You must ensure that the chitterlings are well cleaned. This will take extensive washing to remove the dirt and smell. Put it in a pot, boil it, and then drain all the water. After that, you add your seasonings, veggies, and 10-15 cloves of garlic(this is a very important ingredient for this method). This will effectively remove the smell, and don’t worry, the chitterlings will not be overwhelmed with the taste of garlic.
Using Sliced Oranges- Slice your oranges and while the chitterlings are cooking, put the slices on the pot’s lid, which will absorb the entire smell.
By use of Lemon- Lemon has been used in a lot of ways as a disinfectant to successfully kill bacteria. After taking it out of the bag, quickly rinse it and put them in a bowl or container. The next step is to cut either 4 lemons and squeeze them for use, or you use 2 cups of lemon juice and let it rest in the bowl for about 3 hours. The bacteria which causes the odor will be killed by lemons or lemon juice. Then you can clean them normally and cook them without the awfully discouraging stench.
By use of Cilantro– Make sure you buy some fresh cilantro from your local grocery store. Cut your cilantro, put them inside a cheesecloth, and then add it to the pot of boiling chitterlings until all the smell is absorbed. Feel free to discard the cheesecloth, which contains cilantro.
By use of Vinegar-Another way of eliminating the chitterling’s smell is through vinegar. You have to clean the chitterlings and soak them in vinegar, and the vinegar also helps to remove some of that grease away.
We have seen several ways to eliminate the chitterlings smell; feel free to choose which one suits you better. Now, we will go into how to prepare a delicious, mouth-watering spicy chitterlings recipe.Print
How To Cook The Chitterlings
Cooking chitterlings is very easy. After cleaning your chitterlings and eliminating the foul smells, the next step is to cook your chitterlings.
- Fill your 6-quart pot with cold water and place the chitterlings inside it.
- Begin to boil it, season it with salt, crushed red peppers, jalapeños, and garlic, and then add the onion. Make sure that before adding seasonings, the water is boiling very well to prevent the chitterlings from becoming tough.
- Put the pot on the stove and cover the pot. Increase the level of heat and continue to boil it. Let it boil for about 10 minutes, then reduce it to a medium level.
- Continue to simmer over medium heat for 3 to 4 hours until it becomes as tender as you like them.
Bread and Fry the Chitterlings
If you want to further fry the chitterlings, you can follow these steps.
- Gather your ingredients, including egg, flour, cracker crumbs, and water.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl with the water and keep it aside.
- Spread the flour or cracker crumbs on a piece of baking paper and keep it aside.
- Put the oil in a deep fryer or Dutch oven and heat it to 370 F.
- Dip the chitterling into the egg mixture one by one, and roll each piece in the flour or crumbs.
- Add the chitterlings carefully into the hot oil and fry until it turns golden brown. Make sure you fry them in batches to prevent the pan from being overcrowded.
- Drain the oil from the chitterlings on paper towels.
- Serve hot and enjoy your meal.
View this post on Instagram
Cooking Time For Chitterlings
Cooking chitterlings take time due to cleaning, prepping, and cooking. The various timing guidelines to follow can be seen below:
|Cooking method for chitterlings||Cooking time|
|Prepping and cleaning||2 to 3 hours|
|Cooking||3 to 4 hours|
|Frying||15 to 20 minutes|
For more visual representation on how to cook chitterlings without the smell.