One of the best side dishes at KFC is their coleslaw. With this recipe, you can make your own KFC coleslaw right at home. Not only is this a great copycat recipe but it is perhaps one of the better coleslaws that I have tasted. A lot of the flavor comes from white vinegar, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and buttermilk. For the carrots, I used a cheese grater to shred them but you could also use a knife and slice them into very thin strips. For the best results, you will want to allow the coleslaw to be refrigerated for several hours or overnight to allow the flavor to develop before serving. This coleslaw makes a great side-dish. Enjoy.
- 8 cups shredded cabbage (about 1 head)
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl whisk together sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, and lemon juice. Add the cabbage, carrots, and onions and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for several hours or overnight before serving.