This is a copycat right for the provolone stuffed meatballs at Applebee’s restaurant. The meatballs are simmered in marinara sauce and then placed on top of alfredo noodles to serve. I thought the combination of both alfredo and marinara sauce kind of creates a flavor that is similar to a tomato cream sauce. The meatballs use 3 different types of meats—ground beef, ground pork and ground veal. If you would prefer you can use all ground beef. If you do not want to brown the meatballs in the pan you can brown them in the oven at 350 degrees F. and then finish them in the sauce. You could also fully cook them in the oven if you want. It should take about 25-30 minutes to bake them at 350 degrees F. Make sure that the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F. before removing them from the oven. Serve with garlic bread. Enjoy.
- 1/2lb ground beef
- 1/2lb ground veal
- 1lb ground pork
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (minced)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3lb provolone cheese
- 1 (16 oz) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (16 oz) jar alfredo sauce
- 1lb fettuccini pasta
- chopped fresh parsley (for serving)
- grated parmesan cheese (for serving)
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, ground veal, ground pork, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg, milk, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well using your hands. Roll the meat mixture into 2inch balls. Press a cube of provolone cheese into the center of each meatball and seat it inside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook until browned, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Pour the marinara sauce into a sauce saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until cooked through (the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F), about 30 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, cook fettuccini pasta according to package directions. In a medium saucepan heat the alfredo sauce over medium-low heat.
- Drain the noodles and toss them with the alfredo sauce. Serve the meatballs on top of the alfredo noodles. Top with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese if desired.