Ricotta pancakes are definitely a nice change from your normal pancake. This recipe is the most standard way to make ricotta pancakes with the folding of whipped eggs whites into the batter. These pancakes have an amazingly moist texture and a very nice lemon flavor. The lemon flavor comes from the zest of a full lemon but you can add less if you choose. This recipe makes about 4 medium sized thick pancakes. If you want more you might want to double the recipe. Some people prefer blueberry topping on their lemon ricotta pancakes and that is delicious. I topped mine off with whipped cream and strawberries. You could use just use the classic syrup or jam and butter. These pancakes are so easy to make and they are a fantastic breakfast. Enjoy.
(Makes About 4 medium pancakes)Print
- 3 eggs (yolks and whites separated)
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- The zest of 1 medium lemon (or less, to taste)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup flour
- Butter (for frying)
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs yolks, lemon zest, sugar, salt, ricotta cheese, and flour. In a separate bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer until they form slightly stiff peaks.
- Fold eggs whites into ricotta/flour mixture until well blended.
- Add a little bit of butter to a skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Spoon batter into the pan to form a pancake of the desired size you want.
- Cook for 1 minute or until the top starts to bubble and/or the bottom is golden brown, flip the pancake onto its other side and cook until the pancake is cooked thoroughly throughout (About 1- 1 1/2 minutes).
- Repeat until the batter is gone.