Smoked sausage is a delicious addition to baked beans. This recipe makes a great side dish to go with all kinds of different meals. I served it with grilled chicken. Canned pork and beans are mixed with various ingredients and then baked in the oven. The smoked sausage is first cooked in the pan and then mixed with the beans. If you want you can prepare this recipe in a Dutch oven. This recipe gets a lot of flavor from ingredients such as molasses, apple cider vinegar and mustard. Enjoy.
- 2 slices bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced, I use kielbasa
- 3 (16-ounces) can pork and beans
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, I use TABASCO
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
Add onion to bacon drippings and cook until soft.
Add garlic and smoked sausage and cook until sausage is browned.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer. Place Dutch oven, uncovered, in the oven and cook for 45 to 55 minutes, until thick.