This smoked sausage spaghetti is easy to prepare and makes for a great dinner. The smoked sausage is sliced and then fried in the pan before the sauce is prepared. The sauce is a combination of crushed tomatoes, wine, and various seasonings. Fresh parsley and basil are added to give this dish a nice and fresh flavor. I like to serve this recipe with garlic bread. Enjoy.
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 13 ounces smoked sausage (cut into slices)
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounces) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup red wine
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1lb spaghetti noodles
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh basil (chopped)
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, cook sausage, onion, and garlic in oil until onions are tender.
- Add green pepper, mushrooms, salt, and seasoning; continue to cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, water, and basil.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes.
- Add prepared spaghetti to sauce; toss to coat evenly.
- Spoon one-half of the pasta mixture into a greased 2-½ quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with one-half of the cheese. Top with remaining pasta mixture and cheese.
- Bake, covered, at 375°F for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove cover, bake 5 minutes longer. Serve.