Sweet chili chicken strips make a delicious appetizer or are great served for dinner. These chicken strips use Chinese flavors such as sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar. These chicken strips have both sweet and spicy flavor. The process of preparing this recipe is simple- the chicken strips are coated in a flour mixture and then deep fried and tossed with the sweet and spicy sauce. What works well for this recipe is using a package of not breaded, uncooked chicken tenders—that way you do not have to even slice the chicken yourself. These chicken strips go great served with rice, and you may want to double the sauce to have some for the rice. Adapted from Chocolate Moosey.
(Makes 2 Servings)Print
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast (sliced into strips)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- chopped green onions
- sesame seeds
- To prepare the sauce—in a medium saucepan combine the chicken broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sweet chili sauce, oil, sugar, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees. Pour buttermilk into a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Dip each chicken strip first into the buttermilk and then roll in the flour mixture until evenly coated.
- Place chicken strips into the hot oil, a few at a time and deep fry the chicken strips in batches until golden brown and the chicken is fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees). Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Immediately toss the chicken strips with the sauce. Garnish chicken strips with green onions and sesame seeds.