Tacos Al Pastor is one of my favorite Mexicans foods. They are tacos filled with grilled pork, pineapple, and cilantro relish. I had never heard of these until a couple days ago when I came across a recipe and just had to give them a try. They were a huge success and I will be making them frequently. The pork gets marinated in an orange juice/pineapple mixture. This helps to tenderize the meat. I felt the flavor of the pork, pineapple and cilantro relish all went together extremely well. I also decided to add some shredded Monterey jack cheese to my tacos. The tacos also go great with different types of salsas. If you do not have a grill this could all be done using a grill pan or even a skillet. Enjoy.
- 1 (3 pounds) boneless pork loin
- 1 large white onion (cut in half)
- A ½ cup of orange juice
- 1 pineapple (peeled and cut crosswise into ½” rounds)
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves (cut in half)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 small chipotle chilies in adobo sauce(plus 1–2 teaspoons adobo sauce)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 package corn tortillas
- Take 2 pineapple rounds and seal and refrigerate the rest. Chop 2 pineapple rounds (discarding the core) and place chopped pineapple, orange juice and ½ of the onion into a food processor.
- Add vinegar, chili powder, garlic, salt, oregano, cumin, chipotle chilies, and adobo sauce. Puree in the food processor until the mixture is smooth. Place pork in a large sealable plastic bag, add marinade and refrigerator 4 hours (or overnight).
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Grill remaining pineapple until warm and slightly charred. Remove from grill and chop, discarding the core.
- Remove pork from the marinade and place onto the grill. Grill until cooked through and slightly charred. Remove from grill and chop pork into small cubes. Toss diced pork with chopped pineapple.
- Finely chopped the remaining onion half and put it into a medium bowl. Add chopped cilantro and toss to combine. Grill tortillas until warm (about 10 seconds per side).
- Add pork/pineapple mixture on top of each tortilla, and then add cilantro relish. You can also add salsa and cheese if desired.