Pie crust is generally the crispy outer shell of a pie in baking. It is made with the combination of some fat, flour, salt and water. Adding milk or sugar will enhance its taste.
This is usually brushed with an egg or milk wash to get those deep golden flaky puffed pie crusts. Topped with coarse sugar is utterly delicious. The correct ratio of ingredients and mixing procedure determines the texture of the crust.
A perfect crust pie has a flaky crust. This cannot be achieved if the flour does not combine with fat and water to form the gluten protein matrix to overdevelop. This pastry can be used to top any filling and baked. Here is a detailed recipe of this tricky yet simple pie crust recipe.
Follow the recipe step by step to nail it.Print
- All-purpose flour – 1 ½ cups
- Cold butter – 5 tbsp, cut into cubes
- Cold Vegetable shortening – ¼ cup, cut into cubes
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Ice water – 3 to 5 tbsp
- Pulse all-purpose flour and salt using a food processor just to incorporate.
- Now add-in those butter cubes and vegetable shortenings and pulse it until the butter gets smaller (size of peas) and evenly distributed.
- Add 1 tbsp of ice water and pulse it till the dough binds together when pinched between fingers.
- Transfer this into a work area dusted with flour and combine it to form a disk.
- Wrap the dough using a cling wrap and refrigerate it for an hour before using it.
- This is an easy no-fail recipe. If you take all of those ingredients cold, it will just take minutes to nail it.
- Whenever you need a pie, just take them off the freezer and pop it into the refrigerator just to defrost till you finish your work and for dinner, you can make the perfect pie.