Tuna salad sandwiches are pretty basic and often disappointing… but this one is different. Not only does it consist of ingredients from a tuna salad but from a Waldorf salad as well. A quick glance at the ingredient list will tell the story if this sandwich is right for you. The crunch from the apple and celery add a nice touch to this sandwich, and the Swiss cheese tops it off nicely. There is a bit of prep work required but it is worth it. This recipe is perfect for summer and it can be prepared in advance for picnics. Enjoy.
Yield: (4 Servings)Print
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 (6 ounces) can oil-packed tuna
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 1 Granny Smith apple (cored and diced)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup celery (diced)
- 1 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
- 8 slices Rye bread
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- In a medium bowl whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Mix in tuna, shallot, apple, walnuts, celery, and pickle relish. Mix until all the ingredients are coated with the dressing.
- Place a lettuce leaf on the bottom half of a slice of Rye bread. Add a layer of tuna salad on top of the lettuce and top with a slice of Swiss and the top half of the rye bread. Repeat until all sandwiches are made.