These chicken taquitos use flour tortillas and are delicious and easy to prepare. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken. If you don’t have any leftover chicken you can cook up some boneless skinless chicken breasts and then shred them. Flour tortillas are stuffed with Mexican flavored chicken and Monterey Jack cheese and then rolled up, brushed with oil and baked. You can top these taquitos with whatever condiments you want but I used lettuce, sour cream and pico del gallo. Enjoy.
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (about 2 small chicken breasts or 1 large)
- 1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups montery jack cheese
- canola oil (for brushing)
- pico de gallo
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- In a medium bowl combine tomato sauce, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper. Pour into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add the chicken reduce heat and simmer for about 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Lay the tortillas on the work surface and fill the bottom third of each tortilla with 1/3 cup of the shredded chicken mixture and sprinkle about 1/4 cup of cheese over the chicken. Roll up and secure with a toothpick inserted into the seam.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place tortillas on a baking sheet lined with foil. Lightly brush the filled tortillas with canola oil. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Top with any condiments such as pico de gallo, lettuce and sour cream.