Outside of stuffed shells, I have not tried a lot of different baked pasted dishes. I decided to give baked ziti a try and it was a huge success. There are so many recipes for baked ziti out there but this one is so simple and delicious, I see no need to try any other! The greatest flavors of this dish come from parmesan cheese and garlic. You can use any type of spaghetti sauce you want, store bought or even some of your own homemade. I love garlic so I added a few more cloves than the recipe called for. If you cannot find ziti pasta, rigatoni will work as well. Serving with garlic bread is a must. If you are looking for a fantastic Italian recipe, give this one a try. Enjoy.
(Makes 6 Servings)Print
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 (32 ounces) jar meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (16 oz) package ziti pasta (cooked and drained)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet add ground beef, onions, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat stirring frequently until the beef is browned.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, chicken broth and oregano. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in 1 cup of sauce into the cooked ziti noodles. Spoon ½ of the ziti mixture into a 13×9” baking dish.
- Sprinkle 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese and ½ cup parmesan cheese over the top of the ziti mixture. Top with 2 cups of the sauce, then add remaining ziti mixture and top that with the remaining sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes remove from oven, uncover and sprinkle the top with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.