Chances are if you enjoy going to the Chinese buffet you have tried the chicken with broccoli. This dish that is often found at the buffet and at Chinese takeout restaurants consists of thinly sliced chicken and broccoli florets in a brown sauce. There are a lot of different ways to make a good brown sauce and this recipe uses ingredients such as soy sauce, oyster sauce, and garlic to give it a delicious flavor. You can prepare this dish easily and quickly and it goes great when it is served on top of white or brown rice along with some egg rolls if you would prefer. Enjoy.
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (sliced into thin strips)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (mixed with 1 tablespoon of water)
- 1/2lb broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons chicken broth
- In a bowl mix egg white, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and salt. Add the chicken to the egg white mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, and water.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli and 4 tablespoons chicken broth and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove from the wok. Add the chicken and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Return the broccoli to the wok. Add the sauce and the cornstarch and water mixture. Cook until the sauce has thickened.