Chinese chicken with snow peas is a great dinner to serve over rice. The chicken is first marinated and then breaded and baked in the oven instead of using the deep-fryer. The use of the broiler in this recipe helps to create a crispy coating on the chicken. The chicken is then mixed with a sauce that consists of part of the marinade, sugar and water. This recipe does require a little bit of work to prepare all of the ingredients but it is well worth it. A good option for a side dish is egg rolls. Enjoy!
- 2 chicken breast fillets (or their equivalent in thigh or leg fillets)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce divided
- 2 teaspoons tapioca (or corn or potato) starch, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup snow peas trimmed
- 1/4 cup julienned carrot
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Wipe the chicken fillets with paper towels. Cut into bite-size pieces. Place in a bowl. Add a tablespoonful of soy sauce, half of the starch and all of the sesame seed oil. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, make the sauce by stirring together the remaining soy sauce, starch, chicken broth, oyster sauce, and sugar.
- Heat a tablespoonful of oil in a wok or frying pan. Stir fry the snow peas and carrot strips for half a minute. Scoop out and transfer to a plate.
- Heat more cooking oil in the wok or frying pan. Spread the chicken pieces in a single layer. Cook for two minutes then flip them over and cook for another minute.
- Add the garlic to the chicken. Stir everything up and cook, stirring often, for another minute or two.
- Add the vegetables to the chicken.
- Stir the sauce and pour into the pan. Stir fry for another half a minute or just until the sauce is thick and coats every piece of chicken and vegetable.
Serve the chicken snow peas stir fry with hot rice.