Cream cheese wontons are a Chinese appetizer. They go great with any Chinese dish. Cream cheese wontons are commonly found at Chinese restaurants all over. They consist of wonton wrappers filled with cream cheese, crab, green onions, and seasonings. For the best results you will want to fry these in the deep fryer but they could be fried in a pan as well. If you want to fry in a pan, just add about an inch of oil. I like to seal the wontons with beaten egg. This keeps them from breaking open in the deep fryer. You will want to make sure they are well sealed. These are best served with sweet and sour sauce. Enjoy.
(Makes 10 Servings)Print
- 12 ounce cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 50 wonton wrappers
- 1 cup imitation crab (chopped)
- 2 green onions (minced)
- 1 (8 ounces) can water chestnuts (drained and minced)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 egg (beaten)
- oil (for frying)
- in a medium bowl cream the cream cheese together with crab, green onions, water chestnuts, garlic powder, and soy sauce. In a separate bowl, beat 1 egg.
- Lay out a wonton wrapper in the shape of a diamond. Place 1 teaspoon of the filling into the center of each wrapper. Brush the opposite corners of the wrapper with the beaten egg. Fold the edges over to form and triangle and seal.
- Heat oil in the deep fryer to 375 degrees. Deep fry in batches (turning once if needed) until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.