These French style meatballs are great served over egg noodles. This recipe consists of beef meatballs with a beef-onion gravy. The meatballs are a combination of eggs, wine, garlic salt, and breadcrumbs. The meatballs are fried in shortening in the pan until browned and then simmered in the gravy until fully cooked. The gravy gets a lot of its flavor from beef onion soup mix and Herb de Provence seasoning. I like to serve these meatballs with biscuits. Enjoy.
- 250–350 g lean beef mince
- 250 g sausage meat
- 2–4 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp prepared mustard (optional)
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced or leek, sliced
- 250 g flat mushrooms, sliced
- 545 g can Wattie’s Just Add Mince Country French Mince Simmer Sauce
- ½ cup beef stock or water
- In a bowl mix together the beef mince, sausage meat, chopped parsley and mustard (if using) and season with salt and pepper. Use wet hands to roll the mixture into 14-16 balls.
- Heat a dash of oil in a lidded frying pan and quickly brown the meatballs and sliced onion.
- Add the mushrooms, Wattie’s Just Add Country French Mince Simmer Sauce and beef stock or water. Stir to mix.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Scatter over the chopped parsley before serving with mashed potatoes.