The beef gotten from the rear region of a cow is called the eye of round steak. The cuts of this region have very little fat because the muscles are prone to work. The eye of round steak is one of the leanest steak cuts anyone can find, and this feature is what makes the eye of round steak stand out. In fact, this means that more than most of the other types of steaks, it is healthier for you. The fat doesn’t need to be trimmed because the cut is already lean.
To cook correctly, this meat requires specific techniques. They also tend to be tougher to chew, but for those who want lean beef, it is an excellent option as long as they can spare the patience and time. When the round steak is braised with a seasoning broth of sauce, spices, or herbs, it can be made to be tender, moist, and succulent.
The low calorie and low-fat content make this a very healthy eating choice for eating, and it can be transformed into different beautiful dishes that will leave you wanting more. The toughness of the eye of round steak is the only downside to this dish. However, the dish is a very easy and quick dish to cook.
Round Steak Nutrition Facts
Tools You Need
- Paper towels
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking oil or canola
- Pan or skillet with lid
- Braising liquid such as red wine
- Cooking spoon or spatula
View this post on Instagram
Tips for Making a Tender and Flavorful Eye of Round Steak
- Make sure the steak turns brown. Use flour to dust the meat and sear it quickly for a more flavorful and richer steak to be produced. Browning happens. A chemical reaction between proteins and sugar in the meat under high heat allows the meat to be brown, which produces a mouthwatering roasted flavor. This reaction is known as the Maillard reaction.
- Cover your pan with a lid. Make sure that during the simmering process, the lid is on to retain moisture.
- Replenish the liquid. Add water to cover up your meat halfway when needed. Ensure that you check to prevent the liquid level from getting too low.
- Prevent overcooking. Cooking the meat longer if it’s still tough, but periodically check the meat. If a fork slides in and out of the meat and can divide without any resistance, remove the meat from the heat.
How to cook eye round of steak on the stove
- Get a resealable bag or container and place the steak inside it. Pour olive oil, red pepper flakes, vinegar, and oregano inside it. Grate 1 garlic clove finely, directly into the bag, and mix them well to combine. Allow it to marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Use paper towels to dry the round steaks by patting them in a skillet to heat half of the oil. Over medium-high heat, melt a tablespoon of butter in a large pan until it shimmers hot and melts.
- Add and stir the onion and garlic and keep cooking until the onion becomes soft. Also, add 2 cloves of crushed garlic as well as a few sprigs of fresh rosemary. A great depth of flavor will beg added to your steak as a result of the garlic-rosemary-infused butter.
- After that, use a slotted spoon to remove it and set it aside.
- Use salt and pepper to sprinkle the meat to taste. In your skillet, sear the eye of round steaks and spice the steak with salt and pepper. Don’t move the steaks unnecessarily, as this will only make it rubbery and tough.
- Use the same pan to heat the remaining oil. Now, put another butter into your skillet.
- Add the meat and cook, turning, until brown all over. Sear the steaks at 3 minutes for each side. Set the steaks apart. Sear the edges of your steak until a crisp, golden brown outer layer forms. You can use your finger to do a test to check if the steak is medium-rare, or you can use a meat thermometer, check for doneness: 120-125°for medium-rare heat and 130°F for medium.
- Put the onion mixture back into the pan and add the stock, the herbs, and the wine.
- Take the steak and place it into the sauce, then reduce the heat to a medium-low. Cover it with the lid and for about 1 to 2 hours, let it continue to simmer. Make sure that during cooking, you turn the meat just once. At the final 10 minutes, remove the cover of the pan.
- Remove the meat from the pan and set the pan down once the time of cooking is done. Also, transfer the steak onto a cutting board and let it stand for about 10 minutes before you start slicing it. After removing the steak from the skillet, set it aside. You can now serve the steaks either with the sauce or alone.
Cooking Time for Eye of Round Steak
To cook an eye of round steak on the stove, you have to prep the tools and ingredients before cooking. Below are the various timing guidelines to follow when cooking the eye of round steak on the stove.
|Cooking method for the eye of round steak||Cooking time|
|Simmering||1 to 2 hours|
|Cooking||45 to 60 minutes|
If you need a helpful video on the recipe on cooking eye of round steak on stovetop.