Eye of round steak is one of those easily affordable beef cuts for steak. But because it’s gotten from the rear leg of the cow, the connective tissues are denser. This factor means you’ll need a longer time to cook it on the stove or in the oven.
But while this may seem like a turn-off, you can still enjoy a plate of an eye of round steak if you’re willing to be patient. But note that the cooking methods for tenderizing round steaks are the most rewarding.
Tips for Making Eye of Round Steak Tender
A pre-cooking method of softening the eye of round steak is by beating the steak first with a meat mallet, rolling pin, or flat skillet. This process loosens the fibers, making the steak easier to cook and saving time. Make sure to place layers of material over and under the steak before you do. This way, the meat doesn’t stick to the surface you beat it on. And with this technique, your steak should be ready within two to three minutes tops!
Other ways of making eye of round steak tender include;
- Covering the steak while it cooks allows the steam to penetrate the meat, make it tender, and add moisture.
- Cook the round steak with enough liquid, so moisture penetration is greatly encouraged.
- For a richer flavor, brown the meat first by a quick sear in sugar or honey.
- Always time the cooking duration because you may run the risk of overcooking. Eye of round steak is ready when the meat is fork-tender.
Ways to Cook Tender Eye of Round Steak
Contrary to popular belief, you can cook the tough eye of round steak to such juicy tenderness your guests will not believe. Check out these handy suggestions on how to do it;
Braising the Steak
For the longest time, braising remains one of the most impactful ways to make soft and highly delicious recipes. But braising is a slow-cooking process, so patience must be exercised.
To braise the eye of round steak, first, sear it in a Dutch oven with a splash of cooking oil. Then, deglaze the pan with some broth, stock, beer, wine, or water. Let the liquid bubble, and add the steak. Add more liquid till it reaches the steak halfway, cover, and let it boil. Then, lower the temperature, and simmer lightly for about two hours. Once the meat is fork-tender, take it down and serve as you wish.
Using a Marinade
Another way to cook the eye of round steak to tenderness is by marinating the meat. Pour ¼ cup olive oil into a blender and add four red wine vinegar or lemon juice tablespoons. Include whatever spices and seasonings you’d prefer, and blend the mixture. Next, place the steak in a plastic Ziploc bag, and pour in the marinade. Seal the bag and gently massage the steak, so the marinade covers its entire surface. Then, leave the bag to sit in the fridge for two to six hours. Once you’ve let it sit to satisfaction, bring the steak out of the refrigerator and let it cool at room temperature for a while. Then, cook it on a skillet over medium-high heat for five minutes on each side.Print
- Four eyes of round steaks, two pounds each
- Two Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Two large onions, thinly sliced
- One tablespoon minced garlic
- One teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- ½ teaspoon thyme, dried
- Two cups beef broth
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Two teaspoons honey
- One teaspoon paprika
- One teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- Cook one tablespoon of oil and the garlic in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat for one minute. Pour in the onions and sauté till it’s slightly brown- about five minutes. Set the contents aside on a plate.
- Dab the wetness of the steaks with paper towels, and season with pepper, salt, and thyme. Then, dust the steaks lightly with flour and heat the remaining oil at medium-high. Sear the steak brown for about two minutes on both sides.
- Add the vinegar, broth, and sautéed onions to the mix, and stir. Then, add the paprika, onion powder, ginger powder, and honey. Stir and cook to a boil- about three minutes. Then, cover tightly, lower the heat and leave it to simmer for about two and a half hours. Serve with the sauce on top.
You can also play around with this video recipe.