- 2 T bone steaks, 2-3-inch thick steaks, about 14–16 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons of steak seasoning, 1 tablespoon per steak, (you can use any bbq rub or steak blend of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter, plan for about ½ tablespoon per steak
- ½ tablespoon of parsley, chopped flat-leaf Italian variety (optional ingredient)
- ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper, freshly cracked (optional ingredient)
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt, or freshly cracked sea salt, kosher salt, etc. (these are optional ingredients)
- Take the steak out of the fridge while you’re preparing the other ingredients for the recipe (do this approximately 15 minutes before you plan to cook the t bone steak). This will aid in bringing the meat up to room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dry the t-bone steaks using a paper towel, afterwards, season them all over using a steak rub or appropriate seasonings of your choice (don’t forget to rub the sides too).
- Set up a big cast-iron skillet atop a medium-high flame. Pour in the olive oil. Afterwards, add the t-bone steaks onto the heated oil once the pan is nice and hot (the pan should smoke a little during the process).
- Sear the two sides of the T-bone steaks for 2 minutes each in the cast iron pan. Afterwards, sear the edges for 30 seconds. This is simply to brown them and give them a pan-seared crust.
- After the sear, place the cast iron pan in the preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes (make sure to flip them halfway through), till the internal temperature of the steaks reads about 5 to 10 degrees less than the desired temperature.
- At this point, you can take the cooked steaks out of the oven and set them aside to rest for a minimum of 10 minutes on a cutting board. T-Bone steaks should be topped with butter during this time so that it melts in and adds a little extra taste and juice.
- Slice the steaks from the bone and serve them either in slices or in whole pieces. You can top the delicious steaks with anything you choose, such as freshly chopped Italian basil, freshly cracked salt and black pepper, or the steak sauces mentioned in this recipe.
You can choose whatever method you prefer, with or without the skillet, but cooking a T-bone steak is sure to deliver delicious steak onto your plate, so feel free to try out this recipe when you can.
If you’d like to see more recipe ideas or inspiration for T-bone steaks cooked in the oven without a skillet, then we recommend a look at this video recipe.
When necessary, you can cook a T-bone steak without using a skillet. All you have to do in this case is cook the steak in the oven and skip the initial searing. To obtain that lovely crust on the exterior and properly cooked pink inside, broil the T-bone instead of baking it in the oven.
To make a T-bone steak at home without a skillet:
- Place seasoned and oiled T-bone on a rimmed baking sheet on the oven’s top-shelf (ensure it is within 6 inches).
- T-bone steaks should be broiled for 5 minutes or they develop a brown crust, then the steaks need to be flipped and broiled for another 5 minutes if thick (or 3 to 4 minutes if they’re thin).
- Keep cooking the steaks in the oven until they achieve the ideal temperature for T-bone doneness.