If you enjoy or want to try Middle Eastern dishes chicken shawarma is a good place to start. If you have ever wanted to know how to make chicken shawarma it is not difficult at all. For this recipe, we are using boneless skinless chicken thighs but you could use breasts as well. The chicken is marinated in spices and then grilled and sliced. The sliced chicken is placed onto flatbreads and then topped with a yogurt sauce, romaine lettuce, and tomato. The chicken in this recipe gets a lot of flavor from spices such as coriander, cumin, and cardamon. The yogurt sauce is simply Greek yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, salt, and pepper. If you have wanted to try a delicious Middle Eastern Dish, be sure to give this one a try. Enjoy.
- 2lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 6 flatbreads (naans)
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced romaine lettuce
- Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade in a large ziplock bag. Add the chicken and seal. Shake to coat the chicken with the marinade. Place into the refrigerator and marinate for at least 5 hours.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the yogurt sauce in a medium bowl and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place onto the grill. Grill for 4-5 minutes until nicely charred and then flip over and cook on the other side for 3-4 minutes or until fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.).
- Remove from the grill and cover loosely with foil. Allow the cooked chicken to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips. Place some of the strips onto the flatbreads and top with lettuce, tomato, and yogurt sauce.