If you want to step your mac and cheese game up try adding delicious BBQ pulled pork into the mix. There is just something about pulled pork and homemade mac and cheese that is truly amazing when they are in combination. You can easily make BBQ pulled pork by just adding a pork roast to the slow cooker, cooking it for several hours, shredding it and then mixing it with your favorite bbq sauce. The mac and cheese are easy to prepare and uses two different kinds of cheese—mozzarella and cheddar. Enjoy.
- 2 cups prepared pulled pork
- 1 cup barbeque sauce
- 16 ounces cavatappi pasta
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain and rinse in a colander.
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Butter a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and continue cooking for 2 minutes, stirring or whisking constantly. Gradually add the milk, whisking to blend thoroughly. Cook, stirring, until thickened and smooth.
- Stir in the ground mustard, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Add 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese and cook, stirring, until melted.
- Combine the drained macaroni with the cheese sauce, blending well.
- Heat the pulled pork on the stovetop or in the microwave until hot (or as package directs if you use purchased).
- Spoon the macaroni and cheese mixture into the baking dish. Top with the pulled pork. Sprinkle the pulled pork with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and the cheese has melted.