As the leaves turn golden on the trees, we welcome fall with the fresh aroma of pumpkin pies being baked in our kitchens. It is hard not to think of pumpkins when we imagine fall, thanksgiving and Halloween.
One of the best things to do with pumpkin is to turn it into a delicious pie. Many families have a secret pumpkin pie recipe that is passed on from generations. A lot of other people try to test different recipes until they settle on something that works for them.
This pumpkin pie recipe also includes a recipe for the pie crust, but you can buy a readymade pie crust and follow the rest of the steps to enjoy an equally delicious pumpkin pie.
To make sure that the pie does not end up with cracks on the top layer, you must bake it to the point where the top is done while the centre may still need some time to set completely. The heat of the crust and the rest of the pie will gradually cook the centre of the filling.
This recipe uses the Chinese 5-spice, which is easily available in most supermarkets, but if you are unable to get your hands on one, then you can substitute it with a pinch of fresh ground star anise, cloves and white pepper.Print
For the pie crust
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- Vegetable shortening, cold and cut into small pieces
- ½ ice water
For the pie filling:
- 1 can of pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 can condensed milk
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg, freshly and finely grounded
- 1 tsp. cinnamon, finely ground
- ½ tsp. ginger, finely ground
- 1/8 tsp. Chinese five spices or substitute it with a pinch of fresh ground star anise, cloves and white pepper
- ½ tsp. fine salt
- 9-inch pie crust, unbaked
Making the pie crust:
- In a mixing bowl, put the flour, sugar and salt and mix it well. Add the butter cubes and vegetable shortening pieces and mix it with the flour with the help of a fork.
- The mixture will have a crumbly texture with small pea-sized crumbs.
- Use a tablespoon to add water by sprinkling it on the mixture one spoon at a time. Keep mixing and sprinkling the water till the dough begins to come together.
- Spread some dry flour on a working surface and transfer the dough on to the surface. Put the dough together into a ball and cut it into half. Flatten the two balls of dough and wrap it with a plastic
- Place it in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Making the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, add the canned pumpkin puree and add the egg yolks as well as the egg. Mix well till they are properly combined.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk along with the rest of the ingredients and whisk together till the filling is thoroughly mixed.
- Take one of the pie crust balls and fit it in a 9-inch crust plate. Crimp the edges.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake it for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- Reduce the heat and bake for another 30 to 40 minutes till the upper crust looks perfectly cooked.
- If the center is still partially uncooked, then avoid over-baking the crust, or else it may begin to show cracks and may turn dry and hard.
- Allow the pie to cool and the center to set perfectly before serving it.