Here is a recipe for the well-known breakfast item – French toast. French toast is very popular all across the United States and Europe. It is also known as ‘Eggy Bread’ in parts of the United Kingdom. The process of making French toast is very simple; slices of bread are dipped in an egg mixture and then fried on a griddle or in a pan. Most of the flavor comes from ingredients such as cinnamon and vanilla extract. This recipe calls for Texas toast, which is a thicker type of sliced white bread. If you can’t find it any type of white bread will work as well. Serve with butter, syrup and/or fruit. Enjoy.
- 8 slices thick Texas toast bread
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (or more if desired)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- powdered sugar
- In a shallow bowl mix together eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle. When the pan is hot add butter.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture for 30 seconds on both sides. Let the excess batter drip off and place into the skillet.
- Cook each slice on for 1 ½-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown on both sides. Repeat adding more butter to the pan if necessary until all slices have been cooked. Dust with powdered sugar.