You probably just got an air fryer oven, and the first recipe on your list is french fries, but have you ever tried air frying bacon?
This bacon-cooking technique is a game-changer. Bacon cooked in the air fryer oven is crispy, tasty, does not take much time to cook, and eliminates messy smoke and grease splatters.
You’ll probably never want to cook bacon another way once you do it in the air fryer oven. So, let us show the process of cooking bacon in an air fryer oven, and you could learn some really helpful tips along the way.
Bacon nutrition facts
Tips for air frying bacon
When cooking bacon with an air fryer oven, try keeping these tips in mind for the best results.
1. Check and rotate
Set the timer for half of your targeted cooking time. The pieces on the outer edges of the tray will cook faster, so check the outer edges of the bacon at the halfway point. Rotate the bacon if necessary.
2. Plan for dripping grease
To avoid bacon grease dripping on the oven, always remove the drip pan at the same time as the air fry tray. If you accidentally leak bacon grease in the oven, it will generate a lot of smoke.
3. Use bread to soak up grease
Placing 2 pieces of bread on the tray with your bacon will soak up some of the excess grease, which helps minimize smoking. If you plan to prepare more than 1 batch, replace the bread with each batch. It can burn and be less effective after a batch or 2.
You can use frozen bread for this purpose, so here’s a good tip: Keep bread heels in a bag in your freezer, earmarked for this purpose.
4. Use foil and parchment paper on the tray
The foil as the first layer on your tray makes clean-up easier. The parchment paper on top of the foil helps absorb fat and grease. Use parchment paper and bread for the best results.
5. Expect a mess
Even if you use the bread and parchment paper strategies, air-frying bacon can still be messy. The air fryer will spin bacon grease all around the inside of your oven. More on this below. If you don’t want to deal with that mess, bake the bacon instead, either in the air fryer oven or in a conventional oven.
What happens to bacon in the air fryer
In an air fryer, a high-speed fan and super-heated air are used for cooking or “frying.” Because there is a fan involved, bacon grease may be blasted around inside the oven. This is the downside of air-frying fatty foods.
Your alternatives are:
Cooking bacon in an air fryer oven
Ensure to follow these steps when cooking bacon in an air fryer oven:
- Preheat the oven, set the temperature to 400°F, and select the Air Fry feature.
- Cover a sheet pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil while the oven is preheating. Place a sheet of parchment paper and two slices of bread on the foil.
- Separate the bacon and arrange it on the air fry tray in a uniform layer. Make sure the tray isn’t too crowded so that the air can circulate adequately around the food while air-frying.
- Place the air fry tray in the third position from the top when the oven is heated.
- The amount of time it takes to cook bacon depends on your preference. Air fry for 14 minutes for highly crispy bacon and 12 minutes for crisp bacon. Air fry for 10 minutes for somewhat chewy bacon and 8 minutes for softer bacon. Flip and rotate the bacon halfway through.
- 1 lb low sodium sliced bacon
The following steps should be followed when air frying bacon:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 204°C using the air fry setting.
- Heavy-duty aluminum foil should be used to cover a big baking sheet.
- Cover the foil-lined baking sheet with a large piece of parchment paper.
- Place two fresh or frozen pieces of bread on the baking sheet.
- Remove the bacon from the package and equally distribute it on the air fry tray.
- Position the air fry tray in the oven's third position from the top.
- Place the air fry tray on top of the covered baking sheet.
- Set the timer for half the amount of time you want to cook (see notes).
- Pull the baking sheet and the air fry tray out of the oven at the same time at the halfway mark to prevent fat from dripping into the oven.
- Toss the bacon with tongs and rotate if necessary. Bacon on the outside of the pan cooks faster.
- Return the air fry tray and baking pan to the oven simultaneously, being careful not to splash fat out of the drip pan.
- Set the timer for the remaining cooking time to get the desired crispness.
- To cool, remove the bacon from the air fry tray and place it on a paper towel-lined platter.
Crispy air-fryer bacon takes about 7 minutes per side or 14 minutes in total. You can adjust this time down if you prefer a less crispy result.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 531Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 1910mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 38g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.