Are you looking for a low-carb noodle recipe? Then, you must check out this butternut squash noodle idea. It’s colorful, filling, and easy to cook with your typical seasonings and spices. And you can enjoy the recipe anytime you want by cooking it on the stove or in the oven.
Making the Butternut Squash Noodles
To prepare butter squash, you’ll need some equipment, like these below;
- A sharp knife to cut the squash,
- A vegetable or potato peeler to remove the skin, and
- A sturdy spiralizer to turn the squash into noodles because butternut is somewhat tough to make this way.
You start by cutting the butternut squash at the spot where the tube neck widens. This tube neck tends to have seeds in it, and you can save it for later use.
Next, trim the bottom so that the butternut squash can sit on the countertop or board. Then, remove the skin with a vegetable or potato peeler.
Position the peeled butternut squash on the spiralizer and turn the lever to come out as strings. And your butternut squash noodles are ready to cook.
And if you wish to avoid all these steps or find them too hectic, you can purchase already prepared butternut squash noodles at the grocery stores or vegetable stalls around you.
Cooking Butternut Squash Noodles
You can prepare the butternut squash noodles in various ways, depending on your preference.
Set a saucepan of water on the stovetop and add some salt. And when it comes to a boil, add the butternut squash noodles and let them cook for about two to four minutes. You can also try this method if you wish to mix it with spaghetti or any other type of pasta and noodles.
Set the air-fryer to 375F, and add the noodles to the basket. Cook for about three minutes, till they’re al dente. Then, serve as you please. Air-fried butternut squash noodles go best with chicken breasts. And you can cook the noodles on the basket just after the chicken, so the flavor merges in.
You can also stir-fry the butternut noodles over the stovetop. For this method, add some oil or butter in a heated pan and sauté your chopped aromatics. Next, put in the butternut squash noodles and stir-fry for about seven to 10 minutes, till they shrink and become tender. You’ll want to toss the noodles as they cook with tongs, so the doneness is even.
Oven-roasting is one of the most convenient ways to prepare butternut squash noodles. Pour the noodles into a casserole dish and add some seasonings with oil or butter. Use your hand to mix, so the seasoning and fat combine evenly and then toss in the oven to roast for about ten minutes.
View this post on Instagram
Serving Butternut Squash Noodles
Butternut squash noodles can be served along with recipes like;
More Cooking Tips
- Butternut squash noodles quickly soften when cooked, so watch the recipe closely as you prepare it. Your target is a fork-tender texture that doesn’t break apart when you twirl.
- Also, note that butternut squash has a bland taste, so you’ll need to season the noodles as you cook.
- ¾ Butternut squash, spiralized
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- One teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- One garlic clove, minced
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Parsley, freshly chopped
- Heat a pan at medium-high, and add the oil. Then, pour in the garlic and stir for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the butternut squash noodles and sauté for about five to seven minutes, based on the thickness. Use tongs to stir occasionally the noodles, so they cook evenly to a fork-tender consistency.
- Add the salt and pepper as you cook and stir. Then, serve garnished with the grated cheese and chopped parsley.
- Another method of cooking butternut squash noodles can be seen in this video.