Cooking a whole chicken in the air fryer is a great juicy chicken main course dinner for weeknights, make-ahead, meal planning to eat all week. The perfect store-quality chicken is juicy off the bone with crispy skin.
This Air Fryer Whole Chicken is quick and easy to prepare. You know, in approximately an hour, you may have a wonderful and meaty chicken with a crispy exterior. You will never want to buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store again.
Chicken Nutrition Facts
Why Cook a Whole Chicken in an Air Fryer
Extra juicy and crispy – The chicken will be exceptionally crispy on the outside but tender and juicy on the inside, thanks to the air fryer. The compound butter adds flavor to the chicken while also crisping it up.
Delicious – The air fryer chicken is delicious and delectable. The herb and garlic butter nicely coat the entire roasted chicken, giving it a deep and delightful flavor.
Less mess and quick cooking time – Air fryers also cut the cooking time in half, and because it’s a one-pot dinner, the oils don’t spray and make a mess.
It takes 10 minutes to prepare – All you have to do is combine all of the ingredients for the compound butter and spread it all over the chicken, including under the skin and inside the cavity. It’s so simple that even children would enjoy it.
Tips To Cook a Whole Chicken in an Air Fryer
- Choose chickens with unbroken skin, evenly colored, and a fresh fragrance.
- Before cooking, make sure the organ meat is removed from the cavity. Instead of throwing away those giblets and necks, put them in the freezer and store them for soups and stews.
- The chicken will be perfectly roasted and crispy all over if we cook it with the breasts down for the first 30 minutes.
- Make sure the chicken you’re buying fits in your air fryer by measuring its size. Make sure there’s adequate room in the air fryer for the chicken, as overcrowding will hinder airflow. You can use a 7-quart air fryer and 3.5 pounds of chicken; there will be plenty of space around it, so you can be sure your air fryer can fit your bird.
- Tying the legs together using string to keep the chicken moist while cooking.
- The oil prevents the skin from overcooking and drying out. Moreover, to keep the air fryer basket from sticking, spray it with cooking oil.
- The thickest part of the breast and the thickest part where the drumstick and thigh meet the breast can be used to take the temperature. Check when the internal temperature of the chicken hits 165°F, then you know for sure it is ready.
- After your chicken has been cooked, always set it aside to rest. This permits the internal temperature to stabilize and the fluids locked in. I’m sure you would not like to eat a dry chicken.
- You can use some paper towels to pat the chicken dry, which will aid in sticking the compound butter to the chicken and crisping the skin.
- Remove the meat from the carcass and place it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 3 months to store air fryer chicken.
- Simply toss it in the microwave to reheat! Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, or create a quick gravy to pour over the top.
How To Cook a Whole Chicken in an Air Fryer
This air fryer recipe will leave the outside of your whole chicken tender, and juicy Air Fryer Chicken is golden crispy, while the inside is moist and delicate. This dish is flavorful and delicious.
View this post on Instagram
Prepare The Chicken
When working with chicken or other meat, I recommend patting it dry with paper towels, and this ensures that the spice rub adheres to the chicken. Now is the time to remove the chicken’s wingtips if you like.
Make The Butter
You can make this delectable butter compound. This herb and garlic butter will give our bird a ton of flavor. Simply combine fresh butter, garlic, Italian spice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper to produce this wonderful compound butter. You might think this is a lot of butter for your chicken, but you should note that the more butter you use, the better your chicken will taste. This chicken will be moist and flavorful, with plenty of garlic and herbs.
Rub The Butter on the Chicken
You will need to loosen the skin with a spoon first. Next, gently rub the butter all over the chicken, beneath the skin, and even within the cavity using your clean hands or a spoon.
Air Fry, The Chicken
You can use a cooking spray to spray/oil the air fryer basket. You might not need to because of the butter rubbed; the chicken wouldn’t stick to the basket at all. Then place the chicken breasts facing down in the air fryer basket.
Set Apart To Rest Before Serving
Finally, transfer the chicken to a serving tray or cutting board, wrap it loosely in aluminum foil, and set it aside for at least 10 minutes before carving and serving.Print
- Whole chicken
- Salt to taste
- Dry rub
- Cooking spray
- First, preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The chicken should be well washed and dried. Coat the entire chicken in the dry rub and, if preferred, season with salt.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray or olive oil, then set the chicken breast-side down in it. Air fry for 30 minutes.
- Depending on the size of the chicken, flip it and air fry for another 15-30 minutes.
- Allow for a few minutes of resting time before serving the delicious and juicy Air Fryer Roast Chicken.
- Remove the chicken and set it aside to rest for 10 minutes before serving. There are a variety of side dishes that go well with this chicken. I served this chicken with roasted root vegetables.
Watch this video recipe to know how to cook a whole chicken in an air fryer.