The NFL playoffs are currently underway and that means it is time for more game day food! An excellent option for football parties is queso blanco dip. This is a copycat recipe for the queso blanco dip from Applebee’s. What makes this dip a little different from most queso blanco recipes is that it has fresh pico de gallo on top for serving. This dip is very easy to prepare and the most work that is involved is chopping the vegetables. You could easily double the ingredients if you need to serve a large crowd. This dip is best served immediately when it is still warm. Enjoy.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion (divided)
- 2–4 jalapeno peppers (seeded and minced)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 ounce Monterey Jack cheese (cut into chunks)
- 4 ounces white cheddar cheese (cut into chunks)
- 1 ½ tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro (divided)
- 1 Roma tomato (seeded and diced)
- Slice the onion in half and mince one half of the onion. Set aside. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high. Add 2/3 of the minced jalapeno peppers and grate the remaining ½ of the onion into the pan.
- Cook while stirring occasionally for about 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add the heavy cream, Monterey jack cheese, and white cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- To make the pico de gallo—In a medium bowl combine the minced onion, tomato, ½ tablespoon cilantro, and remaining jalapeno.
- Pour the queso dip into a medium sized serving bowl and top with pico de gallo.
- Serve immediately.