- Four mild or spicy Italian sausages
- One red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- One yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
- One yellow onion, sliced thinly
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt & ground black pepper to season
- ½ cup of marinara sauce or your favorite store-bought sauce
- ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Four buns or rolls of choice
- Fresh basil for garnish if desired
- Preheat the grill to medium-high temperature.
- Prepare the vegetables in a medium bowl by tossing the sliced peppers and onions with olive oil and ½ teaspoon each of salt and ground black pepper. Set these aside.
- It’s time to put the sausage on the grill. Grill the sausages for 5-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through, directly on the grill grates. When the sausage is done cooking, move it to a dish or plate and cover it with foil to keep it warm. You could also keep the sausages warm on a rack in your grill while the vegetables cook over indirect heat.
- Grill the vegetables in the meantime as the sausage cooks. Place the vegetables in a grill basket over medium heat and cook, frequently stirring, for 7-10 minutes, or until softened and charred.
- Next, assemble the rolls. Then, in each bun or roll, place a sausage. Add the grilled peppers and onions, two tablespoons of marinara sauce, and a dusting of mozzarella cheese to the top of the pizza. Then, place the prepared buns on the grill and cook for a minute or two over indirect medium-high heat to melt the cheese. Alternatively, you might grill the rolls for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve warm, garnished with fresh basil if preferred.
This recipe for grilled Italian sausages promises a satisfying experience, as well as incredible tasting results. The total cooking time for this recipe is 30 minutes, with 10 minutes of preparation and 20 minutes of actual cooking time. If you need more ideas for grilled Italian sausage recipes, then you should check out this video recipe.