Looking for a quick bite you can have on the go or as a late-night snack? Hot pockets are your best bet. These delicious and crispy snacks are suitable for any informal occasion, whether you have friends over or are just busy finishing that project for your company.
And although hot pockets come with instructions on the back on how to cook them, so they’re suitable for eating, not everyone can achieve the ‘perfect’ hot pocket. Some people tend to make them too hot or cold and aren’t satisfied with their final results. If you’re one of those people, you don’t have to worry anymore!
In this article, you’ll be learning firsthand the basic steps to prepare your hot pocket in the Microwave to have a satisfactory ‘hot’ hot pocket.
Tips for Cooking a Hot Pocket in the Microwave
We’ve compiled the following tips below to improve your skills at cooking a satisfactory hot pocket in your Microwave. We advise that you pay close attention, and you’ll notice that these tips will be charitably helpful.
Use your crisper cardboard box – if it isn’t your first time cooking a hot pocket, you may already know that when you remove your hot pocket from the plastic wrap, it’s best to expand the cardboard crisper it comes with and inserts the hot pocket into the crisper to ensure it’s nicely cooked when in the Microwave. If it’s your first time cooking one, be sure to carry out this process as it is very necessary.
Use an oven mitt – when your hot pocket is done and ready to take out, use an oven glove or mitt to extract your plate of hot pockets from the Microwave to avoid getting your fingers burnt.
Rest your hot pockets – hot pockets are really tasty, but you might want to slow down when they’re out from the Microwave. Don’t just rush into the hot pockets after taking them out, as you might risk burning your tongue and fingers. No matter how hungry you are at that moment, it is best to rest your hot pockets for 5 to 10 minutes for a warmer temperature.
Feel your hot pockets – although this might sound weird to many, it’s necessary to feel your hot pocket with a finger to check if it’s been thoroughly cooked. If it still feels tough in some areas, insert it back into the cardboard crisper, put it back into your Microwave, and cook again for another minute.
Defrost your hot pockets – if your hot pockets have been sitting in the freezer all day and didn’t come straight from the box, it is advisable to defrost them for about 2 to 3 minutes in the oven before putting them in the Microwave to give them more warmth.
After they’re hot – you can set them on a plate and eat it with a fork after it has rested, or if you like, you can eat them halfway inserted into its cardboard crisper, like a wrapped up sandwich. Fold-down one end of the crisper before eating to prevent them from falling to the ground or burning your fingers.
Don’t overcrowd your plate! – the size of your microwaveable plate will determine the number of hot pockets you can put in it. If your plate can only make room for one hot pocket, don’t pile them on each other!
This can cause them to not cook properly under the estimated time frame. Instead of crowding the hot pockets in your plate in the Microwave, cook them one at a time.
You can make a sauce – some people don’t like to eat their hot pockets plain. You can add ketchup or make your sauce at home using whatever ingredients you want. You could also use hot sauce if you like. It’s all yours, so get creative!
View this post on Instagram
Cooking Time for Hot Pockets in the Microwave
The guidelines in the table below are essential to follow if you want to have a perfectly heated hot pocket.
Cooking a hot pocket in the Microwave
- Pour all your ingredients for your sauce into a bowl and mix well.
- Cook your sauce for 5 minutes and set it down.
- Please take out your microwavable safe plate and place the unwrapped hot pocket or hot pockets. Remember not to overcrowd your plates with hot pockets.
- If your hot pockets are coming out from your freezer instead of the package, defrost for 3 minutes in the oven before you begin. If you don’t own an oven, warm them up with low heat in a pan.
- Take your hot pockets, and insert them into the popped open crisper cardboard box.
- Place them back on the plate and into the Microwave.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- When the Microwave is done cooking, you need to wear your oven mitt and extract the plate from the Microwave. Be very careful with this process, as your plate can be very hot.
- Carefully remove the hot pocket from the cardboard crisper and feel the surface gently to check if it’s properly cooked. Follow our tip above and cook for another minute if it isn’t.
- Once you’ve confirmed your hot pocket is ready, you can repeat these steps on all of them, depending on how many you’re cooking.
- Allow resting for 5 or 10 minutes before eating with sauce.
Note that the rest time for your hot pocket varies depending on the number of hot pockets you’re cooking. Also, keep in mind that the sauce is optional, and you don’t have to make it if you don’t want to. These steps for cooking hot pockets in the Microwave are relatively easy to follow, and you’ll find them handy whenever you want a quick bite to eat.
If you want more tips on cooking a hot pocket using your Microwave, feel free to check out this video.