Steak is one of those recipes you can prepare in so many ways. And for those who love their dish extra spicy, pepper steak is a heavenly treat. It combines a myriad of flavors and textures that explode in your mouth and makes your heart yearn for more. And you can even prepare it on your stovetop, without hassle.
The pepper steak on the stove menu is a marriage of two cultures. It pairs the beef-searing techniques of American cuisine with the Chinese stir-frying style we’ve all come to love. And anyone can recreate this culinary wonder if they choose to. You only need a few nudges in the right direction, like these below;
Choosing the Meat Cut
Like any steak recipe, getting the proper meat cut is the first step. And for stovetop pepper steak, sirloin, flank steak, and top round steak, make the best choices. They offer just the right thickness that allows flavors to infuse without coming out too soft or tough after cooking. And you get suitable tender strips for the recipe when you cut the meat across the grain.
Choosing the Ingredients
A whole range of spices and seasonings can be used for pepper steak on the stove. But it’s best to stick with some groups of ingredients that offer a familiar taste combination. In the end, your trump card is the sauce the steak strips fry in, so take note of these flavor enhancers.
Red pepper, black pepper, scallions, garlic, or ginger will add a dose of heat and aroma. Infuse umami and tang with Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, or soy sauce. Sugar, Mirin, honey, cane sugar, or even cloves can help with sweetness. And a colorful veggie feel will be offered by sliced bell peppers.
Any vegetable oil will do for this recipe, and you ma garnish with any seeds or vegetables you wish. And for thickness, a few cups of cornstarch are all you need.
Cooking the Steak
You can prepare this recipe in a skillet, wok, or cast-iron pan. And the recipe takes about thirty minutes or less, depending on how quickly your stove burns. Some would suggest the beef be marinated first, but it’s not always necessary.Print
- One pound top round beef, sliced
- Two tablespoons vegetable oil
- One onion, large and sliced
- One green bell pepper, sliced
- One red bell pepper, sliced
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup honey
- Three tablespoons soy sauce
- Two tablespoons cornstarch
- One tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- One tablespoon minced garlic
- One tablespoon Mirin
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Blend the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Bring a cast-iron skillet to high heat, and add two tablespoons of oil. Pour in the sliced bell peppers and onions, and stir-fry for five minutes. Pour into a plate and set aside.
- Spread beef strips evenly on a skillet and cook for one minute, so the sides downwards sear. Stir the beef strips and allow them to cook for another three minutes. Lower the heat to medium.
- Add the onions, peppers, and sauce to the beef strips. Stir well, and let it cook for two to three minutes- the sauce should be thickened by then. Set the pan down, and serve as you please.
Also, take a look at this video recipe for more ideas.