- One tablespoon of Oil
- One teaspoon of Cumin seeds
- One green chili pepper
- ½ cup of onions (diced)
- ½ tablespoon of garlic (minced)
- ½ tablespoon of ginger (grated)
- 1 cup of tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup of red lentils (Masoor Dal)
- 3 cups of water
- One tablespoon of lime juice
- Cilantro (to garnish)
- ½ teaspoon of ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon of coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon of red Chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of garam masala
- One teaspoon of salt (adjust to taste)
- Start by setting the pressure cooker to “saute mode” and then wait for it to heat up.
- Then proceed to add the oil and cumin seeds together in a bowl.
- Allow it to saute for 30 seconds.
- You can now add the green chile, onions, ginger, and garlic once the cumin seeds have turned color.
- Then saute for 3 minutes – make sure to turn often – until the onions are golden brown.
- Toss in the tomato and seasonings.
- Then stir it well and saute for another 2 minutes.
- You can proceed to add in the lentils and water stir thoroughly.
- Place the trivet – for pot-in-pot rice.
- Combine all of the ingredients for basmati rice in a bowl and set it on top of the trivet. With the vent in the sealed position, close the lid.
- You should press “cancel” and close the lid with the vent in the sealed position.
- Set the instant pot to manual or pressure cook for 5 minutes at high pressure.
- Allow for a 5-minute natural pressure release once the instant pot chimes, then manually release the pressure.
- Remove the lid from the pot. Stir in the lime juice and the dal.
- You can now serve with cilantro as a garnish. Dal can be served with roti, naan, or rice.
You can watch this video recipe to learn how to cook red lentils.