Stewing beef is a quick and easy way to prepare dinner. Stewing begins with less tender but flavorful chunks of beef and cooks them to tenderness over slow, moist heat.
One of the best crockpot recipes is beef stew in the crockpot. This dish is full and tasty with juicy beef chunks, carrots, potatoes, and peas. Moreover, when it comes to making a hearty comfortable meal, beef stew in a crockpot won’t fail you.
You will really adore this beef stew in a crockpot recipe if you are craving tasty comfort food. It is also quite simple to put together – thanks to the recipe’s simplicity.
Beef Stew Nutrition Facts
Tips To Cook Beef Stew in a Crock-Pot
- The best meat for beef stew – This will be chuck. Chuck is rough and flavorful meat that comes from the animal’s shoulders and front end, and you will have to cut it yourself into cubes. Moreover, under low and moderate heat, it retains its deep, meaty taste while becoming succulent and fork-tender.
- Browning – Beef stew is given a rich color and flavor by browning the beef before cooking. Don’t forget to brown the meat in a skillet before transferring it to the slow cooker, and it only takes a few minutes and adds a ton of flavor to the final dish. Note that when meat is overcrowded in the pan, it steams rather than browns.
- Deglaze the pan – Remove the pan from the heat and deglaze it. Pour in a little broth and scrape off the tasty browned bits from the bottom of the pan. The contents of the skillet will then be transferred to your slow cooker.
- Flavorful beef stew in a crockpot – The flavorful herbs, thickened beef broth, and seasonings actually make a stew a stew. You can consider creating a CrockPot beef stew with red wine to add even more richness to the dish. Replace a cup of beef broth with a cup of hearty dry wine and use it to deglaze the pan you used to sear the meat. You could also throw in a few button mushrooms. If you enjoy peas in your beef stew, add some frozen peas after the stew has finished cooking.
- Replace the stewing cubes – Instead of stewing cubes, you can use a Simmering Steak to make a speedier stew-like entrée; this way, you only have to brown one piece of meat. Cook as if you were making a stew.
- Keep the lid closed – It can be quite tempting to glance at the meal when it smells so nice, but unless you’re adding more ingredients, resist the impulse to raise the lid. The slow cooker takes time to heat up, and heat escapes every time the lid is removed, lengthening the cooking time.
- Thickening the beef stew – You can use flour and tomato paste to thicken the beef stew. As the stew cooks slowly, the broth will thicken, and it will continue to thicken as the stew cools. This stew is thick and hearty as is, but if you want a thicker gravy, whisk 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water into the stew at the end of the cooking time. Then cook for another 20-30 minutes on high.
- Warm It – Beef stews are ideal for entertaining since they can be prepared ahead of time. The stew flavors blend together while it rests, making it even more delicious the next day before serving, warm gently in a crockpot.
How To Cook Beef Stew in a Crock-Pot
One of the best comfort foods you will enjoy is beef stew in a crockpot, which has soft pieces of beef and veggies in a thick broth. This recipe for quick beef stew is ideal for a weeknight meal.
Cut the meat (1-inch cubes), make sure to remove any large bits of fat from the meat – it’s fine if the meat has fat marbleized into it.
Go ahead to melt 1 tablespoon of butter, and soften the onions and garlic. Make sure you are scraping away any meat leftovers from the bottom of the pot, though. A dash of wine might be added to help loosen things up if necessary. Then place it in the crockpot.
View this post on Instagram
During the last 15 minutes of cooking, add the peas. To thicken the soup, you can whisk together ¼ cup of cold water and 3 tablespoons of corn starch until the mixture is smooth. When you stand it up, it will thicken even more. Remove the bay leaves and rosemary stem from the pot and turn off the heat. The browning and seasoning sauce should be added now.
Serve and enjoy.Print
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper, then brown it all over in a skillet.
- In a greased 6-quart slow cooker, combine the beef, potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic.
- Combine the liquids and seasonings in a mixing bowl and pour over the beef and vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper after tossing in the bay leaves.
- Cook, covered, on low heat until the flesh is extremely soft and falls apart when pressed.
- You can now stir in the peas in the last 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and thyme sprig from the dish.
- Serve immediately in dishes with parsley on top and enjoy.
You can watch this video recipe to see how to cook beef stew in a crockpot.