This chicken and dumpling casserole is amazing to serve for dinner. This is almost like a pot pie but way easier to prepare. You can use leftover cooked chicken for this recipe or the meat from a cooked rotisserie chicken. A sauce is prepared in the pan with chicken broth and various vegetable and then mixed with the cooked chicken. The dumplings are made from ingredients such as flour, milk, and eggs. There is a good chance you probably have most of the ingredients for the dumplings on hand already. You can easily double this recipe to serve more people if you want. Enjoy.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 ¼ cups chopped carrots
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 ½ cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 ¼ cups frozen peas
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Saute until tender. Add the flour and ¼ cup of the chicken broth.
- Stir until the mixture thickens and then slowly add the rest of the chicken broth. Cook over medium heat until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken, peas, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Pour the chicken mixture into a baking dish.
- To prepare the dumplings—in a medium bowl add flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Add egg and milk and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Drop the dough over the chicken mixture with a spoon (the dough will make about 8 dumplings). Place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the dumplings are golden brown.