There is just something about that flavor of honey mustard sauce brushed on grilled chicken wings that I love. These wings are not just brushed with a sauce but they are marinated for even more flavor. The marinade comes ingredients such a BBQ sauce, hot sauce, Dijon mustard, orange zest, and honey. One ingredient that I really found to stand out in this recipe is the orange zest. Adding orange zest to the marinade delivers an interesting and unique flavor to the chicken wings once they are done the grilling. If you want the most flavor, the chicken wings should be placed into the marinade overnight. This recipe is great for summer grilling and for the upcoming football season. Enjoy.
(Makes 4 Servings)Print
- 3lbs chicken wing drumettes (patted dry with paper towels)
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (finely grated)
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
Honey Mustard Sauce-
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 green onions (sliced)
- In a large bowl mix together BBQ sauce, orange zest, hot sauce, honey, and Dijon mustard. Add the chicken wings and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and allow the chicken wings to marinade for at least 30 minutes (or up to overnight) in the refrigerator.
- In a small saucepan over low heat melt the butter. Whisk in the honey and the mustard. Whisk until well combined. Remove from heat.
- Lightly grease the grates of an outdoor grill. Heat the grill to medium heat. Place chicken wings onto the grill and cook until crisp and fully cooked (the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees). During the last few minutes of cooking brush the chicken wings with the honey mustard sauce. Remove the wings from the grill, top with green onions, and serve.