Meatloaf is prepared using ground meat of beef but people around the world use other types of meat too such as venison, pork, seafood, lamb, veal and poultry. Other ingredients are added to give it flavor. The ground and spiced meat are then given the shape of a loaf and baked.
Varieties of glaze and sauces are used to enhance its flavor and keep it moist and juicy. Sometimes cheese and vegetables are also added along with the spices to the ground meat for a different taste.
Meatloaf was a common dish used by the families in the United States at the time of the Great Depression. Inexpensive meat was combined with leftover ingredients along with some spices and made into a loaf.
Bread and cereal grains were added to make the meal heavy and filling. It has since then been one of the most loved recipes in all the American households.
Meatloaf is known by different names across the globe. People in the UK call it Haslet which is made of pork. The South Africans call it Bobotie where the loaf is covered in almonds, dried apricots and a layer of egg and milk topping.
The Italians stuff their meatloaf with ham, egg, and cheese and call it Polpettone. Meatloaf is served with sweet brown sauce and mashed potato and is known as Forlorn Hare here. The Pieczeń Rzymska or Klops is incomplete without a boiled egg in Poland.
Today we have for you the recipe of a classic meatloaf that is easy to prepare and will be loved by everyone in your family.
- 2 lbs. of ground beef
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 4 slices of Italian bread, crust removed
- ½ cup of milk
- ¼ cup of parsley chopped finely
- 1 cup of parmigiano reggiano
- 2 whole eggs
- ½ worcestershire sauce
- ½ coarsely ground pepper
- Salt to taste
For the Glaze:
- 3/4 cup of ketchup
- 2 tbsp. of tomato paste
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp. of dried mustard powder
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- 1 tsp. of granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. of granulated onion
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan mildly and cook the onion and garlic for about 6 to 8 minutes or until soft and translucent. Don’t let it turn brown this will ensure that your loaf comes out soft and juicy. Let it cool completely.
- In a small bowl, place the slices of bread and pour the milk over them and wait until the bread soaks all the milk.
- In a large bowl, mix together the beef, cooked onion and garlic, the break soaked in milk, parsley, worcestershire sauce, parmiggiano, eggs, pepper and salt to taste. Mix until everything is well combined properly however, do not overly mix and put it together closely else your meatloaf will be turn out to be tough.
- Place a cooling rack over a baking sheet you can also use a broiler pan and place the meat mixture onto it. Form the mixture into the shape of a loaf.
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the glaze. Pour half the mixture over the top of the loaf and safe the remaining half.
- Bake the meatloaf for 50 minutes, then pour the rest of the sauce on top of the loaf and bake the meatloaf for another 15 minutes.