Chicken burgers are delicious and an exciting recipe to prepare anytime. But not everyone has the time to make the patties from scratch, which is why frozen patties have become the next best thing. These patties are made from ground chicken formed into patties, breaded, cooked, and frozen for sale. As such, they come precooked, in sealed packages at the frozen food sections of grocery stores.
Because chicken patties cook differently from fresh ones, you may worry if you can get the cooking time right. Not to worry, as this recipe gives you the tips needed to master cooking duration for store-bought frozen chicken patties. And what’s more, you can whip up a delicious batch using an appliance as simple as an air fryer.
Why Use an Air Fryer for Frozen Chicken Patties?
Most burger recipes are prepared on the grill, in an oven, or on a stovetop. And these methods have become an everyday part of our lives. So, you may wonder why you should consider trying an air fryer for frozen chicken patties. The good news is this method offers tons of advantages, some of which include;
It’s Quick: Regardless of being frozen, the air fryer cooks the patties faster than most methods, whipping a four-man menu in less than 15 minutes!
It’s Straightforward: Frozen chicken patties are ready-to-cook dishes requiring little to no prep time. Combine this factor with the easy procedures for an air fryer and you have straightforward cooking instructions.
It’s Healthy: Unlike the stovetop, grill, and oven, you won’t need excess oil to cook frozen chicken patties in an air fryer, making it a healthy option for those cutting down on fat.
It’s Juicy: The dry heat method of air fryers cooks the frozen patties faster, retaining their moisture and leaving you with juicy chicken burgers.
Preparing the Air Fryer
Before we scroll to the cooking time for frozen chicken patties, we must first talk about the prep instructions. These patties are breaded and pre-cooked, making them a straight-to-cook option for everyone. But you’ll need the master the right temperature for cooking the frozen chicken patties in an air fryer.
As such, you can set the air fryer to 350F or 400F, depending on your appliance’s speed and the patties’ size. But note that a higher temperature means faster cooking. And don’t take the patties out of the fridge until it’s time to cook them.
Cooking Time for Frozen Chicken Patties
The breading on the frozen chicken patties may have you wondering if you’ll need to add oil but the reverse is the case. The air fryer’s dry-heat cooking works wonders in cooking the breading to a delicious crisp. So, all you need is to take the frozen patties out of the package, arrange them on the air fryer basket, and cook. You won’t even need to grease the basket; the breading prevents the frozen chicken patties from sticking to the rack.
This recipe is fast and easy, and four frozen chicken patties will cook for;
- 10 minutes at 350F, or
- Seven to eight minutes at 400F
You’ll also need to flip the patties halfway through the time, so both sides cook evenly. And because the chickens are pre-cooked, you won’t need to check for internal doneness of 165F. Once they’re done, set them in the buns and top as desired. You can also toast the buns for two minutes inside the air fryer basket before assembling the burgers.
Reheating Frozen Chicken Patties
You can reheat frozen chicken patties after cooking them in the air fryer, and the procedure is even faster than cooking them. One main reason is the air fryer heats quicker than an oven or a microwave, making it ideal for this purpose.
To reheat frozen chicken patties after cooking, heat the oven to 350F, cook the patties for three to five minutes, and serve as desired.
View this post on Instagram
- Top your frozen chicken patties with the regular cheese, tomato, onion, and lettuce. And for an extra burst of flavor, add mustard or mayonnaise. Dijon mustard is also a delicious alternative.
- You can also try BBQ sauce for a grilled experience, or your favorite dipping sauce for a unique taste.
- If the typical veggies feel too boring, consider bell peppers or avocado.
- Switch your bun options with wheat buns, potato buns, or brioche buns.
- Boost the chicken burger’s flavor by sautéing the onion slices before adding.
- You can also melt the cheese for a robust cheese chicken burger experience. Put the cooked chicken patty on the bun, return them to the air fryer, and lay the cheese on the chicken patty. Then, turn off the air fryer, close the lid, and let it sit for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Arrange the frozen chicken patties in the air fryer basket, ensuring they sit in a single layer.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350F, and cook the chicken patties for 10 minutes. If you prefer your chicken patties extra crispy, leave it to cook for another minute or two.
Transfer the cooked chicken patties into the buns and top with the cheese, lettuce, onion, and tomato slices