Sausages are very delicious, they are packed with that umami flavor that would leave your taste buds hankering for more. The perfect scenario for cooking sausages would be at an outdoor barbecue party with friends or family, but if it is winter, or you do not own a grill at home, you can still get to enjoy delicious sausages with the help of your trusty oven.
The main thing to note when cooking sausages is the time it needs to be cooked, and the temperature at which you cook them for. You will need to pay special attention to sausages when you cook them at a high temperature like 400, so in this article, I will be giving you some tips to help you achieve the best sausages when you cook them at 400. I’ve also included a quick sausage recipe, in case you need something to kickstart your creativity.
Sausages Nutrition Facts
Tips to Cook Sausages in Oven at 400
Cooking sausages in the oven does not require any fancy equipment or cooking skills, everybody should be able to do it, although there are some simple tips and guidelines that should be followed to achieve the best oven-baked sausages.
Preheat the oven- the first step to take when cooking sausages in your oven would be to fire up the oven. Doing this will drastically reduce the time you need to cook the whole dish. You should set the oven to preheat at 400°F (200°c). Home ovens can be inaccurate by as much as 50°, so you should get a hanging thermometer to measure the center spot of the oven where your sausages would sit, preheating the oven with a thermometer can help indicate when the oven reaches the specified temperature.
Line the baking pan- I like to line my baking pan with aluminum foil, but you can also use a silicone baking mat, or parchment paper if you have those at home. When sausages cook, it leaves behind a lot of greases that may be time-consuming when you clean up. So covering your baking pan with a disposable material would help make cleaning up a breeze.
Use a baking rack- when you cook sausages in the oven you should use place a baking rack over the baking pan, doing this will ensure the heat circulates the sausages and as result, you would get well-cooked sausages from all corners. Sausages also leave behind a lot of greases, so the rack will help elevate the sausages from the oil left behind.
Use a thermometer- the best way to cook proteins is with a thermometer, you do not want to overcook or undercook the sausages. When you cook sausages in the oven, they should reach an internal temperature of 160° before you can confidently say they are properly cooked. Pull out your sausages even 10 minutes to flip them and also stick in a thermometer to check the internal temperature.
Space out the sausages- well you may have everything sorted out, but this simple mistake may leave you with a sausage that is unevenly cooked. To avoid having uncooked patches on your sausages, you should spread them out before you put them in the oven, place them in a way that they do not touch themselves
Safety is important- safety is very important in everything we do, it also applies in the kitchen where there is a lot of equipment that may cause harm to us. Sticking your hand in a hot oven is not advisable because you may burn yourself, so take precautionary measures by using an oven mitten whenever you use the oven.
View this post on Instagram
Cooking Time for Sausages in Oven at 400
|Type Of Sausage||Cooking Time In Oven At 400°|
|Thin slices or patties||10 minutes|
|Thick sausage links||40 -45 minutes|
- Preheat your oven to 400, you can use a thermometer for a more precise reading
- Peel the skin off the potatoes, and cut them into small cubes, also rinse the potatoes when you are done cutting them, and set them aside in a large flat pan
- Next, slice the bell peppers in halves, work out the seeds, and also cut them into the same size as the potatoes so everything cooks evenly, also throw them on the pan with the chopped potatoes
- Cut your onion in half, you will only need a half portion of the onion for this part. Chop the onion into large cubes, roughly the same size as the potatoes and bell peppers.
- Smash four cloves of garlic, remove the peel, and throw them right into the pan without cutting them
- Spread out the ingredients on the pan, and season with dry rosemary, you can also use fresh rosemary, dry thyme, or any other herbs you like.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, also add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to help the roast properly (don’t go too light or too heavy on the oil).
- Mix everything on the pan properly, make sure everything is well coated in the seasonings and oil, also spread them in one layer as possible
- Put the pan in the hot oven and cook for about 40 to 45 minutes until the vegetables are roasted
- Bring the pan out of the oven, chop your sausages to smaller sizes (about 4 pieces per link would do), also drizzle with olive oil if you are using a sausage with lower fat contents
- Add the sausages to the pan, and spread them out as much as possible
- Cook for another 20 to 25 minutes. The sausages should be properly cooked now, pull the pan out of the oven and transfer to serving dishes
- Grab a fork and enjoy your delicious meal
This delicious potato and sausage recipe is simple and exciting to make, it also makes the home smell very lovely, serve with some green salad, and enjoy. If you would like to see more recipe ideas, check out this video recipe.