Pork chops are one of the most versatile cuts of meat you can find. They’re super tasty, come out juicy, and pair with many foods, including vegetables, baked potatoes, and rice. Plus, pork chops can be cooked in various ways, using different methods like the stove, oven, and grill. But lots of people have also discovered they can make delicious pork chop recipes in the air fryer.
But for many, there lies the fear of overcooking air fryer pork chops. This worry is expected mainly in those who aren’t used to cooking in such an appliance, which is understandable. But here, you’ll find a breakdown of the best duration to prepare your pork chop recipes in the air fryer. The instructions are made simple enough, so even a newbie can impress their guest like a pro.
Pork Chops Nutrition Facts
Choosing the Right Pork Chops
When selecting pork chops for cooking in the air fryer, you want to look out for a few things. First, be sure that the meat is fresh and of admirable quality, as poorly chosen pork chops can ruin your recipe. Also, go for chops around 1½ to two inches in thickness, as these sizes will cook well in the high heat and come out with a nice char. As for the meat, bone-in center-cut pork chops offer the best flavor and texture.
Prepping the Pork Chops
If you bought your pork chops the day before, chances are you’ll have them waiting in the fridge. So, sit it at room temperature for about 15 to 20 minutes first to get the chill off. Also, make sure to rinse the pork chops, whether it’s fresh or from the fridge. And once it’s washed, blot out the water with paper towels before you season them.
Seasoning the Pork Chops
A liberal sprinkle of a dry rub mix is a great way to infuse flavor to your air fryer pork chops. So, consider options like paprika, onion powder, ground mustard, garlic powder, and brown sugar. You can also consider herbs like oregano, thyme, sage, and rosemary for more flavor. Don’t forget to include the classic salt and black pepper in the dry rub. And first, coat the meat with olive oil before rubbing the spice mix on it.
View this post on Instagram
Air Fryer Pork Chops Temperature and Cooking Time
When roasting pork chops in the air fryer, you can let the appliance preheat to 360F or 400F. Whichever heat level you choose, be sure that the pork chops cook to 145F. At 360F, the meat will cook for 14 to 16 minutes. And they’ll need about 12 minutes if cooked at 400F.
Make sure to flip the pork chops halfway through the cooking time, so the doneness is even. It’s also best to make use of a meat thermometer so that you can monitor the doneness temperature. And if your air fryer isn’t big enough to take all the pork chops, cook them in batches. This move is essential, as overcrowding the basket won’t allow the hot air to circulate successfully.
Air fryer pork chops taste better when they’re allowed to rest after cooking. And the reason is that the meat contracts when you cook them and forces the moisture out. But when the pork chops sit, the juice is reabsorbed into the meat, and the moisture is returned.
You may also find some juice at the bottom of the air fryer when you take the pork chops out. This fluid is a combination of the seasoning and juice from the meat. And it’s super flavorful, so be sure to drizzle it on the pork chops after you’ve sliced them up for serving.Print
- Two vibe-in pork chops, centre-cut, 2 inches thick
- Two tablespoons brown sugar
- One to two tablespoons olive oil
- One tablespoon paprika
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- One teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Prepare the air fryer to heat to 400F, which would take about five minutes. While you wait, rinse the pork chops and blot out the water thoroughly with a clean napkin or paper towels.
- Mix the seasonings and spices in a bowl to make a spice run. Then, rub the chops all over with olive oil and liberally sprinkle most of the spice rub on the meat surfaces.
- Lower the pork chops into the air fryer and cook for 12 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time. Observe the meat thermometer until the internal temperature hits 140F.
- Take the pork chops down and place them in a bowl, tenting loosely with foil. As it sits, the temperature will cook to the final 145F due to carryover heat. Serve the pork chops in slices.
Also, watch this video for more air fryer pork chops cooking time.