Hot Pockets are simple to make and come in various delectable tastes. However, how you cook them may make or break your hunger, and because hot pockets are typically pre-cooked and frozen, microwaving them is usually a safe option.
Hot Pockets are known for either coming out scorching hot or still frozen in the middle, and consequently, many people are unsure about the ideal cooking time or procedure. This article provides easy-to-follow instructions on properly microwaving hot pockets and how long it should typically take. There are also tips on uniform cooking and ideal materials for desired results.
Tips for Cooking a Hot Pocket in a Microwave
When cooking hot pockets in a microwave, take note of these helpful tips if your goal is to get the best results.
Ensure uniform cooking – Cook the hot pockets for at least 75% of the suggested time to avoid the remaining middle cold while other parts heat up. Take them out, hold them on both ends, and shake them vigorously to blend the hot and cold fillings in the center. As a result, hot pockets that have been heated will cook more evenly.
Cooking time matters
To set the correct cooking time, check the wattage of the microwave. If your microwave has a wattage of 1100 or 700, microwave the hot pocket for 2 to 4 minutes.
This depends on how many hot pockets you’re cooking. To ensure that the hot pockets are properly cooked, check that the interior temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Use parchment paper or paper towels – If you don’t have a plate, use parchment paper or a paper towel to microwave hot pockets instead.
Stick them in the oven – Microwaving hot pockets and then sticking them in a toaster oven for an extra crispy exterior is the best way to prepare them. It may appear to be excessive effort, but it will assist in keeping the crispness and prevent them from becoming soggy.
Cooking Time and Procedure for Hot Pockets using a Microwave
Cooking time for Hot Pockets can range from 1 to 34 minutes. The amount of time it takes to cook a pack of Hot Pockets is determined by various factors, and it could be the box’s weight, the gadget you’ll be using, or if the product is frozen or defrosted.
Hot Pockets can be prepared in both a microwave and a conventional oven.
Before attempting to understand the time taken to cook hot pockets, keep in mind that they are available in the following sizes:
- 48 x 3-ounce (pizza sticks)
- 12 x 8 ounces (sandwich wraps)
- 24 x 4 ounces (sandwich wraps)
The ideal time duration for cooking each of these sizes are as follows:
- a)For a 48 x 3-ounce Pizza Stix;
- In a microwave (1100 W): Microwave hot pockets for 2 minutes and 15 seconds if they are frozen, or 1 minute and 10 seconds if thawed
- In a microwave (700 W): Microwave hot pockets for 2 minutes and 30 seconds if frozen, or 2 min if thawed
- In a convection microwave (350 F): heat hot pockets for 12 minutes if frozen or 9 minutes if thawed
- In a conventional oven (350 F): heat hot pockets for 23 minutes if frozen or 12 minutes if thawed
- In a fryer (350 F to 375 F): Heat for 5 minutes if hot pockets are frozen, or 2 minutes and 30 seconds if they are thawed
- b) 12 x 8 ounces Sandwiches;
- In a microwave (1100 W): heat for 3 minutes and 15 seconds if hot pockets are frozen, or 2 minutes if refrigerated
- In a microwave (700 W): heat for 4 minutes and 15 seconds if hot pockets are frozen.
- In a conventional Oven (350 F): heat for 34 minutes if hot pockets are frozen.
- c) 24 x 4 ounces Sandwiches;
- In a microwave (1100 W): heat hot pockets for 2 min if FROZEN or 1 minute if refrigerated.
- In a microwave (700 W): heat hot pockets for 2 minutes and 15 seconds if frozen.
- In a conventional oven (350 F): Heat hot pockets for 23 minutes if frozen.
View this post on Instagram
If you want to cook frozen or cold Hot Pocket sandwiches in conventional or 700-W microwave ovens, you must change the time settings. First, watch the outer crust and wait for it to turn brown and crispy. Then, using a digital thermometer, check that the inside temperature is 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Hot Pockets can also be prepared in an Air Fryer. To do so:
- Preheat the oven to 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit for about a minute.
- Cook the sandwich for 11-13 minutes after that.
- Microwave the Hot Pocket for a minute before putting the turnover in the fryer for another 5 minutes if you want to cut down on time.
Hot Pockets are designed to be quick and easy meals. As a result, the quickest and most effective method is to microwave them. Cooking them in the oven or air fryer, on the other hand, takes time. Due to this, you can attempt a mixed method by microwaving the Hot Pockets first and then cooking them for half of the recommended cooking time indicated above.
You can try this homemade hot pocket recipe. You never know how much you and your family will love the experience.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet using parchment paper.
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender or an immersion blender to make a sauce.
- One biscuit should be rolled out into a 5- to 6-inch round. Put two teaspoons of sauce, two tablespoons of mozzarella, and ½ tablespoons of pepperoni in the center. Fold the paper in half and push the edges together with a fork. Place the hot pockets on the baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Continue with the remaining biscuits to make eight pepperoni pizza pockets.
- Bake the hot pockets until they are golden brown. This should be about 20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, boil the remaining sauce over medium heat until it has thickened somewhat. Serve this warm sauce with homemade hot pockets.
If you are interested in other ways of preparing hot pockets, check out this video recipe.