Ramen is a well-known meal, known (especially among dorm inhabitants) for how quick and easy it is to make. If you need to eat something immediately, microwaving ramen is a simple solution. Learn how to boil noodles in the microwave fast and efficiently, as well as a few other cool ways to dress up your noodles for an interesting supper.
Cooking ramen in the microwave is great, provided that you’re familiar with the right timing guidelines to follow for the best results. That’s why we’ve provided you with all the details you’ll need to make the process an easy one.
Ramen Nutrition Facts
Tips for Cooking Ramen
You’ll be needing a number of helpful tips when cooking ramen in a microwave:
Microwave a square ramen package – Add water as directed in the instructions, then microwave for one minute. Afterward, repeat at thirty-second intervals until well heated.
Microwaving ramen in a cup – Follow the package guidelines, but instead of heating for 3 minutes, pour water over the top to cover the noodles and let them sit for 3 minutes.
Microwaving ramen in a styrofoam cup – Crumble the ramen into a microwave-safe cup, add half a cup of water, and microwave for a minute, then repeat for 1/2 minute intervals until the noodles are done to your liking.
To replace the flavoring packet in the ramen package – If you’d like to replace the flavoring packet contained in the ramen package, mix the following ingredients and use the resulting mixture instead:
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
To make your ramen taste better – When it comes to improving instant ramen noodles, you have a couple of options:
- Add a fat — you can use a pat of butter, but you could also use olive oil, bacon grease, or any other oil instead.
- The seasoning packet adds a depth of flavor to the dish.
- Instead of water, boil the noodles in the broth. Broth can be found beside the canned soups in the supermarket store.
Cooking ramen without a microwave – Just follow these easy steps to cook ramen without using a microwave:
- Simply boil some water, pour it over the ramen in a bowl (breaking up the ramen to help it cook more evenly), cover with plastic wrap, and set aside for 3 minutes. Stir.
- If your noodles haven’t softened enough, return them to the pot and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add a pat of butter and the flavor package. Stir.
- If the ramen hasn’t softened to your liking by this time, drain the water and replace it with more hot water.
Cooking Ramen in the Microwave
Ramen can be cooked in the microwave following these easy steps:
View this post on Instagram
Take the noodles out of the package.
While some Ramen lovers like to break up the noodles while the bag is still sealed, resulting in shorter soup-like noodles that are simpler to consume with a spoon, others prefer to slurp traditional-style. It’s entirely up to you how you choose to consume them.
Fill a microwave-safe bowl halfway with water and add the noodles
Depending on the size of the bowl you’re using and the amount of broth you want in the soup, you’ll need anywhere from 1 to 2 cups of water.
It’s also a good idea to cover the microwave with a lid or a simple piece of paper towel to avoid splattering. It’s normal for the noodles to float in the dish, but it’s nothing to be concerned about. They’ll be OK to cook.
Check to see if your bowl can be microwaved for many minutes. Some consumers are wary of plastic containers and styrofoam because of BPA and other toxins leaching into food when microwaving.
Microwave for three to five minutes, depending on how thick your ramen is
Start cooking your noodles by placing them in the microwave and setting the timer. Because microwaves operate differently, the exact cooking time may vary.
Stop the microwave halfway through the cooking time and stir the noodles with a fork to ensure even cooking and to ensure they aren’t over-stewing (which can result in over-done noodles with no bite). Simply press on the noodles or flip the brick over to keep it whole if you want the noodles to stay in a brick.
After the microwave has finished cooking, set the noodles aside for three minutes.
Don’t take out the noodles immediately after cooking in the microwave. The ramen may burn your tongue this way. Simply leave it in the locked microwave for three minutes to protect your fingers and lips, allowing them to finish undisturbed and cool to a temperature that won’t burn you.
If you really have to remove the noodles right away, make use of oven mitts or other forms of protection from heat and proceed with caution. Fortunately, while the water is still hot, this is an ideal time to add the flavor packet.
Cooking Time for Ramen in the Microwave
The timing guidelines for cooking ramen in the microwave are described in the table below:
|Cooking procedure||Cooking time|
|Cooking ramen in the microwave||5 to 6 minutes|
- Combine noodles, seasoning packet, and 2 cups of water in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave and stir in the shredded carrots, shelled edamame, and bean sprouts. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Combine the soy sauce and the egg, then top with the sriracha. You can use any green onions or herbs you choose.
This recipe for microwaved ramen yields delicious results and is quick and easy to make. This entire recipe was made in a total of 7 minutes, including a prep time of 2 minutes and a cook time of 5 minutes.
If you’d like more ideas on how to microwave ramen for quick and easy results, check out this video recipe.