You’ve probably never heard of, let alone tried, purple sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are available in a variety of colors. White, yellow, purple, red, and brown are some available colors. The insides are also colored, ranging from yellow to white to orange to purple. The colors change nothing; as long as you cook the potatoes properly, you’ll always end up with delicious results.
To get the best out of purple potato recipes, you’ll be needing all the tips, recommendations, and suggestions we’ve provided in this article. Pay close attention, and you’ll love the results you get.
Tips for Cooking Purple Sweet Potatoes
There are some important tips to take note of when cooking with sweet purple potatoes. Take note of the following:
There are different varieties – Purple sweet potatoes can be found in three separate varieties:
- Okinawan purple sweet potato: The exterior of the Okinawan purple sweet potato is pale, while the meat is purple. Around 1490, it is said to have arrived in the Philippines and China from South America. Around 1600, the plant arrived in Japan and was first cultivated on the island of Okinawa before being adopted by farmers across the country.
This potato made its way to Hawaii and has become an essential element of Hawaiian culture. Because it is now farmed for the American market in Hawaii, it is known as Hawaiian Purple Sweet Potato.
- Molokai Purple Sweet Potatoes: These potatoes were produced on the Hawaiian island of Molokai and are purple on the outside and purple on the interior. I’ve never had them, but they appear to have a similar form and flavor to the Stokes potato.
- Stokes Purple Sweet Potato: This purple-skinned sweet potato with deep purple flesh. They’re a tad less sweet than the orange potato people are more used to, and they’re dense, a little dry, and really healthy.
They are American potato that originated in Stoke County, North Carolina but is now primarily grown in central California.
Where to find purple sweet potatoes – Purple sweet potatoes can be found in Asian shops and Whole Foods, and other organic supermarkets and specialty stores. There are also various options if you decide to order them through the internet.
Ingredients and serving suggestions – All you need for your purple sweet potato recipes are sweet potatoes and a pinch of salt. With only a sprinkle of salt, they’re delicious, but you can top them with anything you like.
View this post on Instagram
Cooking Purple Sweet Potatoes
Depending on the cooking method you choose, follow these steps to cook purple sweet potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place purple sweet potatoes on a baking dish wrapped in aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1½ to 2 hours. Wrap them in plastic wrap and set aside to cool for 1-2 hours, or place them in a zip-top bag and store them in the refrigerator overnight.
- Wrap 3-5 Purple sweet potatoes with aluminum foil and place them in a slow cooker.
- Cook for 8 hours on low in a slow cooker with potatoes.
- Take the cooked potatoes out of the slow cooker.
- Wrap them in plastic wrap and set aside to cool for 1-2 hours, or place them in a zip-top bag and store them in the refrigerator overnight.
- Rinse the purple sweet potato and cover it in a moist paper towel before placing it in the microwave.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes in 1 inch of water, or until tender. Time may vary if using a low-wattage microwave or cooking numerous potatoes.
Cooking Time for Purple Sweet Potatoes
These timing guidelines will help you get the best results regardless of the method you choose when cooking purple sweet potatoes:
|Cooking method||Cooking time|
|Boiling purple sweet potatoes on the stovetop||30 to 40 minutes|
|Cooking purple sweet potatoes in the air fryer||35 to 40 minutes at 400 F|
|Cooking purple sweet potatoes in the oven||60 to 90 minutes at 400 F|
Cooking in the air fryer
- Olive oil should be rubbed on the sweet potatoes. You could sprinkle both sides of the potatoes with an oil spray and rub the oil in. Sprinkle salt on top of the sweet potato if desired.
- In the air fryer basket, place the sweet potatoes. Air fry for 35 to 40 minutes at 400 degrees F, or until sweet potatoes are tender. To find out if the sweet potatoes are done, pierce them with a fork to check how soft they are.
Cooking in the oven
- Set the oven to 400 degrees F and preheat it.
- Olive oil should be rubbed on the sweet potatoes afterwards. You may choose to sprinkle both sides with an oil spray and rub the oil in. Sprinkle salt on top of the sweet potato if desired. If you want, you can wrap the potatoes in foil.)
- On a baking pan, spread out the sweet potatoes. Bake for 60-90 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. To ascertain whether the sweet potatoes are done, pierce them with a fork to see if they are soft. The amount of time it takes to cook purple sweet potatoes in the oven depends on the size of the potatoes you have.
Boiling on the Stove top
- Set the stove on high heat, then place a large pot of water on the burner. Check that the sweet potatoes will fit in the pot you’re using. It’s possible that you’ll have to cut them into smaller pieces. Bury the sweet potatoes in enough water to completely cover them.
- Bring to a boil for 30-40 minutes, or until soft.
- Optional step: To quickly remove the skin, place them in a dish of cold water for 5 to 8 minutes.
This recipe instructs you on how to bake, boil, or roast purple sweet potatoes for delicious results. These are a great healthy side dish to serve with any meal. If you’d like to find out more ways to cook purple sweet potatoes, then watching this video recipe is a great idea.